Bluefruit LE Friend - Firmware Version?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jlamb523

Bluefruit LE Friend - Firmware Version?

Post by jlamb523 »

I'm trying to follow this guide to use the Bluefruit LE Friend Sniffer with Wireshark: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... troduction

I've followed all of the steps and I can't seem to get it to appear in Wireshark. According to the person who gave me the device, it's possible that this unit was sent to us before August of 2018, which according to the guide means that it may contain V1 of the firmware.

Is there any way that I can find out what version of the firmware is on the device without having the packaging or exact details of the purchase? It was quite a while ago and I don't think we have that information anywhere.

Any help would be great.

EDIT: After doing a little research, I realized that there are multiple versions of the LE Friend, one of which is a "Sniffer Edition" of the device. I guess my question still stands then, is there a way I can find out what firmware is installed? How can I tell whether my device is a sniffer or not?

mikeysklar

Re: Bluefruit LE Friend - Firmware Version?

Post by mikeysklar »

What color is your board? That is the first indicator of revision.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... aq-2317996
E5BFEDBF-8F95-4DE9-9B44-76048213942F.jpeg
E5BFEDBF-8F95-4DE9-9B44-76048213942F.jpeg (740.15 KiB) Viewed 131 times

jlamb523

Post by jlamb523 »

I have the black board. I was able to get the UART service working so I'm thinking this may just be a regular LE Friend rather than a BLE Sniffer.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I think you guessed it. The UART coming up easily sounds like the Bluefruit LE Friend over the Sniffer firmware is in place.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”