Is it possible to use ADAFRUIT IO with a Trinkey?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
ronturcotte

Is it possible to use ADAFRUIT IO with a Trinkey?

Post by ronturcotte »

I'm considering an app where a student presses a button on the Trinkey and it sends data to an Adafruit IO feed - essentially a virtual "hand raise." Then I'd have a device with a screen that monitors the feed and shows me who raised their hand and in what order.

I'm open to sugggestions about another approach that doesn't use Adafruit IO if that's not practical. Thanks.

dastels

Re: Is it possible to use ADAFRUIT IO with a Trinkey?

Post by dastels »

To use AdafruitIO you need an internet connection, which the TrinKe doesn't have. You could use Feather Huzzah32 https://www.adafruit.com/product/3405 which would give you WiFi capabilities and battery power (with an easy on/off switch and recharging). Add a button of your choice and you have a good solution. Using a button with an embedded LED you let you indicate when it was switched on and online. Good button options: https://www.adafruit.com/?q=arcade+butt ... =BestMatch.

Dave

ronturcotte

Re: Is it possible to use ADAFRUIT IO with a Trinkey?

Post by ronturcotte »

I was hoping, naively, since the Trinkey would be plugged directly into an internet-connected computer via USB, that there might be some way to use the computer's internet connection to make HTTP requests. I guess that was wishful thinking (that's the trouble with knowing just enough to be dangerous).

We're talking about a classroom with 21 students, and I was looking to avoid the effort (and significantly extra cost) of connecting 21 invidivual ESP8266 devices and components to wi-fi. The idea of just popping a Trinkey device into a USB port and having a nicely packaged one-button/touch interface was attractive.

I could always just build a web app to do this, but I was hoping to integrate some cool hardware into the solution and throw in a little IoT to give them some extra inspiration about what they could do with their new CompSci skills. I could also create a python program that runs on the PC and use a Trinkey to invoke it, but that seems more like a fancy macro than an IoT device.

Back to to the drawing board...

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”