Secure Ethernet?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jetforme

Secure Ethernet?

Post by jetforme »

Hi there. From what I've been able to gather, there's no secure Ethernet support, is that right? I just got these awesome PoE FeatherWings, and I really want to be able to send secure MQTT messages with it.

What would it take to add TLS support to the Ethernet library? Why is it so neglected?

TIA,
Rick

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Secure Ethernet?

Post by brubell »

Hi Rick,

Correct - there's no secure Ethernet support in the Arduino Ethernet Library (https://github.com/arduino-libraries/Ethernet). Only the TCP/IP stack is supported. This is the same for the Adafruit CircuitPython support for the wiznet w5x ethernet chip.

What would it take to add TLS support to the Ethernet library?
It's difficult.. An SSL client would need to be implemented in software, the wiznet chip doesn't natively support SSL.

k2jsv

Re: Secure Ethernet?

Post by k2jsv »

Where are you trying to secure the ethernet communications?

It would be off the the device, but if you are trying to traverse the Internet or someone else's networking you could set up a Point to Point IPSEC VPN, or if it is within a network that you are traversing you could do MACSEC at Layer 2 within the network.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”