How to do data analysis

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
mehtaboys

How to do data analysis

Post by mehtaboys »

My son and I just built our first IoT device. It is a weather station that sends us the temp, humidity, and rain amount. We followed other suggestions and built a tipping gauge rain collector and it is working great. It sends us the amount of rain we get every minute to IO.

One thing we’d like to do on IO is to show the rain amount from the last 24 hours in a total number. I know the data is there in IO but can’t find a way to do any analysis of the data. Is there a way to display “total of rain amount in the data table over the last 24 hours” or something like that where we do calculations or filters in the data?

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: How to do data analysis

Post by brubell »

One thing we’d like to do on IO is to show the rain amount from the last 24 hours in a total number. I know the data is there in IO but can’t find a way to do any analysis of the data. Is there a way to display “total of rain amount in the data table over the last 24 hours” or something like that where we do calculations or filters in the data?
You have a few options:

Export the data from the rain meter feed, as either CSV or JSON. You may then import that into whatever tool you want for calculations/data analysis (MATLAB, Excel)

Add a "line chart block" to your dashboard. Select the rain meter feed and set the block history to 24hr.

mehtaboys

Re: How to do data analysis

Post by mehtaboys »

This is helpful to know that these are the two options. I was hoping that there was a way to do some calculations in IO but that does not sound like the case so we could display that right in the dash board.

We have a line chart block in for the amount of rain, but because we are getting data every minute we only know how much rain we get each minute on a line chart. Is it possible in the line chart to have it add up the rain we are getting over the 24 hours we have on the chart?

https://io.adafruit.com/mehtaboys/dashb ... kiosk=true

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”