Raspberry Pi Zero W mini HDMI connector

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
magi206

Raspberry Pi Zero W mini HDMI connector

Post by magi206 »

I did receive my package from Adafruit Industries on 18-Sep-2021. It was invoiced on Invoice No. (available if emailed directly). Specifically, I ordered:

Adafruit Raspberry Pi Camera Board Case with 1/4 in tripod mount Part No. 3253
Raspberry Pi Zero w NoIR Camera Pack Part No. 3414

I assembled the Raspberry Pi and Camera according to instructions on your website outside of the case. After downloading and installing software, and ensuring all parts functioned to specification, I disassembled and reassembled the board and camera in the case that was provided, Part No. 3446. However, the mini-HDMI plug worked intermittently. The connector does not seem to fit into the slot and connector designed for it perfectly and the plug is making intermittent connection to the Pi Zero connectors on the board connector. I disassembled and plugged the connector back into the board without the case and it seems to work fine, but very loosely. When I plugged it back in with the case, it failed again intermittently. I don't know if the case is off or, the connector on the board is misaligned due to a SMT soldering issues. What can be done about this?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W mini HDMI connector

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Is the issue with the mini-HDMI connector (red)? Or with the camera mini-CSI connector (blue)?
connector.jpg
connector.jpg (48.66 KiB) Viewed 151 times

magi206

Post by magi206 »

I believe the issue is with the mini-HDMI connector (red). Cables and connectors do not sit tightly in the mini HDMI and when the Raspberry Pi is seated in the case, PN 3446, it is difficult to get the connector fully seated in the mini HDMI connector.

adafruit_support_carter

Is the interference between the outer shell of the Pi case and the rubber insulation of the HDMI cable end connector?

The HDMI cable seats OK with the Pi outside the case?

magi206

Post by magi206 »

The interference is between the outer shell of the Pi case and the rubber insulation of the HDMI cable end connector. The HDMI cable end connector seats OK in the HDMI connector because if seems to go further back when the case is not present. When the Pi is in the case, the case is blocking the HDMI cable end connector from fully seating in the HDMI connector on the board.

adafruit_support_carter

Sounds like a basic interference between that specific cable and the PI case. The rubber insulation part of the cables can vary. And different products will expose their HDMI ports in different ways. So, unfortunately, it seems like that specific HDMI cable is just shaped a bit weird for use with the Pi case.

magi206

Post by magi206 »

OK. I just ordered a cable from Adafruit. I hope it fits and works better.

1 x Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable - 5 feet[ID:2775] = $5.95

magi206

Post by magi206 »

I just received the new cable from Adafruit, PN 2775. Although it works better than the cable I purchased from Best Buy, it still is not perfect when the Raspberry Pi Zero W is installed in the case. It still loses connectivity to the HDMI monitor when the case or cable is lightly touched or moved to change scene with the camera.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”