Could someone explain why I am getting this error please...

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
themusicman

Could someone explain why I am getting this error please...

Post by themusicman »

Hi All at Adafruit

I am running a few Pi's which are independently uploading their BMP280 temperature readings to my Adafruit.io feed. I have ensured I am not exceeding my feed limit, but on one of the Pi's, a Raspberry Pi Zero W, I am frequently getting this error - notably, not on any of the other three Pi's.

Code: Select all

raise ConnectionError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='io.adafruit.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/v2/themusicman/feeds/pizerotemp/data (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0xb4d73d90>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution'))
I wonder could an expert perhaps let me know what might be going wrong here please. Each of the Pi's are on the same home WiFi network, with the PiZero being closest to the router at only a few feet away. The code running on each is there same, apart of course from the Adafruit.io feed names etc. I have not included the import statements... but it all works fine.

Code: Select all

ADAFRUIT_IO_USERNAME = "removed"
ADAFRUIT_IO_KEY = "removed"

aio = Client(ADAFRUIT_IO_USERNAME, ADAFRUIT_IO_KEY)

i2c = busio.I2C(board.SCL, board.SDA)
sensor = adafruit_bmp280.Adafruit_BMP280_I2C(i2c, address=0x76)

try:
    pizerotemp = aio.feeds('pizerotemp')
except RequestError:
    test_feed = Feed(name='pizerotemp')
    test_feed = aio.create_feed(test_feed)

try:
    pizeropressure = aio.feeds('pizeropressure')
except RequestError:
    test2_feed = Feed(name='pizeropressure')
    test2_feed = aio.create_feed(test2_feed)

while True:

aio.send_data(pizerotemp.key, round(sensor.temperature, 1))
    aio.send_data(pizeropressure.key, round(sensor.pressure, 2))
    time.sleep(120)
Hope someone can shed some light on my issue, thanks all.
John

AstroGuy

Re: Could someone explain why I am getting this error please

Post by AstroGuy »

don't know why you need the toys and excepts code...maybe for other code not showing???

but I use aio.send not aio.send_data

don't know if this will help or not!!!

themusicman

Post by themusicman »

AstroGuy wrote:don't know why you need the toys and excepts code...maybe for other code not showing???

but I use aio.send not aio.send_data

don't know if this will help or not!!!
Yep, I am pretty much messing around with different feeds etc, and if I were to inadvertently delete a feed on Adafruit then run this script the feed would be recreated.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately changing the method doesn't result in this not happening. It happened overnight again last night which is very frustrating.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

This means that the requests library failed to resolve the io.adafruit.com domain name. Please try the "1. Missing or Wrongly Configured resolv.conf File" step on https://www.tecmint.com/resolve-tempora ... resolution to append Google's DNS server onto your Pi's configuration list and let me know if it works for you.

If it doesn't, we can take some more steps to resolve it.

themusicman

Post by themusicman »

brubell wrote:This means that the requests library failed to resolve the io.adafruit.com domain name. Please try the "1. Missing or Wrongly Configured resolv.conf File" step on https://www.tecmint.com/resolve-tempora ... resolution to append Google's DNS server onto your Pi's configuration list and let me know if it works for you.

If it doesn't, we can take some more steps to resolve it.
Many thanks brubell.

I did read your reply when you posted it but got distracted at the time and failed to make the change to the /etc/resolv.conf file. The issue happened again last night, but I have now made the change as stated in your link, I will monitor and hopefully this will resolve the issue (see what I did there :) )

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”