relay state shows ON and dashboard shows OFF

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
axiomnote

relay state shows ON and dashboard shows OFF

Post by axiomnote »

I noticed some issues in lets say communication between dashboard state and real state of the relay, can you please help me how to manage this problem quickly...
i have an issue sometimes when i turn on relay and connect to dashboard it doesnt shows real state of relay (ON) but different (OFF)..how to avoid this and how to make dashboard or relay to read the real state of the relay

thanks in advance

mikeysklar

Re: relay state shows ON and dashboard shows OFF

Post by mikeysklar »

@axiomnote,

The wippersnapper interface for AIO is excellent at keeping track of the state of relays.

https://learn.adafruit.com/quickstart-a ... persnapper

axiomnote

Post by axiomnote »

Thanks for your reply
but for my project i am using esp8266 board and esp12e..not any of adafruit boards offered on the wippersnapper page
i am using IoTMqtt android application but on each refresh relay which was ON, application shows that relay is OFF
dont know how to fix this

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@axiomnote,

Does the relay state show up correctly between on / off settings when you use web browser from your desktop or phone? I'm trying to determine if this a dashboard display issue or an underlying relay setup with AIO/MQTT problem.

Have you confirmed your settings against this guide which is ESP8266 based with a LAMP powertail relay setup.

https://learn.adafruit.com/home-automat ... he-modules

axiomnote

Post by axiomnote »

I will try to explain better....
when i turn ON lamp (feed called lamp, for example) over adafruit.io dashboard, relay goes ON and lamp is working

then, when i move to app IoTMqtt app on my phone and connect to adafruit mqtt sever, dashboard shows that this relay is OFF
then i press the button on app and app shows relay ON and only that i have visible indicator that my relay is really ON, next when i press again button on app relay goes OFF and my lamp is OFF...so my problem is how to combine those two dashboards on ADAFRUIT and on phone app to be able to see the real state of relays...

for me it would be normal when i go to phone app and connect to mqtt server (adafruit) that app collects all informations about the states of each relay and to show me in the app...in that case i would be able to see which relays are ON and which are OFF...
hope it is more clear now

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@axiomnote,

Does the Adafruit Dashboard (via web browser) acknowledge the change in relay state when you do it through the IoTMqtt app?

Which app are you using on android is it IoT MQTT Panel?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US

axiomnote

Post by axiomnote »

yes i use this app and yes when i change relay state in app, dashboard register it

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@axiomnote,

Excellent. Thank you for verifying that the AIO website dashboard recognizes the state change.

This would mean that the IoTMqtt app for Android is not acknowledging the state change when the AIO web dashboard is being changed, correct?

You should contact the IoTMqtt app maintainer and request the feature be added.

axiomnote

Post by axiomnote »

well yes and no :)
what does it mean exactly?
lets say that both APP and dashboard are connected to internet
when i change relay state from OFF to ON both dash and app register that and vice versa

so in this case, both dash and app shows that relay is ON for example
in next step i disconnect from the adafruit server in APP and on dashboard i turned off relay, dashboard shows that relay is OFF, and APP is not registering this because is not connected to the server, so in next step i connect app to adafruit server and it still shows previous relay state which means relay is ON which is not correct because relay state is OFF

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@axiomnote,

Same issue. The Android app IoTMqtt needs to read the relay state from the AIO server. Put in a request with the IoTMqtt developer for an enhancement. It is likely a small change to read the relay state form the AIO server to keep the app in sync.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”