Huzzah ESP8266 breakout not connecting to Adafruit IO

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
bujones

Huzzah ESP8266 breakout not connecting to Adafruit IO

Post by bujones »

I am trying to get connected to Adafruit IO using a Huzzah ESP8266 breakout and it never connects. I have followed the setup for the breakout board and can connect to my WiFi. When I try and connect using the Example Adafruit IO Arduino publish sketch and the Temp & Humidity sketch I get the message disconnected from Adafruit IO.

I am using the following versions of these libraries:
Adafruit IO Arduino 4.2.0
Adafruit ESP8266 1.1.0
Adafruit MQTT 2.4.2

When I look at the monitor page for Adafruit IO I do not see any errors or any connections. I have verified that my ID and Key are correct using a Python script to connect. I'm not sure where to go from here.

bujones

Re: Huzzah ESP8266 breakout not connecting to Adafruit IO

Post by bujones »

This morning I tried to connect using the MQTT client with Python on my Mac and am still unable to connect using the examples from https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_IO_Python. Right now I'm not sure what to do next. Any assistance would be appreciated.

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

Did you get any errors locally while trying to connect on the mac? That's a good approach to help debug this issue, I think.

bujones

Post by bujones »

Here is the stack trace when I try and connect using Python on my Mac.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "adiomq.py", line 49, in <module>
client.connect()
File "/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/Adafruit_IO/mqtt_client.py", line 150, in connect
self._client.connect(self._service_host, port=self._service_port,
File "/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py", line 914, in connect
return self.reconnect()
File "/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py", line 1044, in reconnect
sock = self._create_socket_connection()
File "/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py", line 3685, in _create_socket_connection
return socket.create_connection(addr, timeout=self._connect_timeout, source_address=source)
File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/socket.py", line 808, in create_connection
raise err
File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/socket.py", line 796, in create_connection
sock.connect(sa)
socket.timeout: timed out

It just times out when it tries to connect.

bujones

Post by bujones »

This morning I was reading an older post and found this one:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=167371&hilit=esp82 ... te#p819909

I saw that using WiFi from a thethered phone they were able to connect, so I gave it a try and what do you know it worked. This tells me that xFinity appears to be blocking the connection. I will need to investigate this and figure out what is happening.

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

Thank you for following up with the solution or root cause. Will be interesting to see what you find out about how/why xfinity is blocking the connection.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”