Adafruit IO classroom use

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
kl7drice

Adafruit IO classroom use

Post by kl7drice »

Hi,
I was hoping to use Adafruit Funhouse boards as an example of IOT data gathering so we ordered a dozen. I got the basic CircuitPython setup going on one of them, including fetching the time from Adafruit IO with my key. But, when it came time to try the Adafruit IO data dashboard, I don't see a way to add the board and I'm getting a bad feeling that the device needs to be something I ordered on my account. These were ordered by the university.
So...is there a way to assign these boards to my account, and hopefully to students, so we can all collect and share the sensor data?

Thanks,
Don

kl7drice

Re: Adafruit IO classroom use

Post by kl7drice »

Okay, here's where I got lost. I was following https://learn.adafruit.com/quickstart-a ... link-a-led and it talks about adding the Funhouse to "My Wippersnapper Boards" but that tab is empty for me with no obvious way of adding anything to it.
So, I abandoned that tutorial and went to https://learn.adafruit.com/creating-fun ... e-examples and I was able to set up the feeds and dashboard. Everything seems to work, even though my profile information shows "0 of 2 Wippersnappers" in use.
Unless I hear otherwise, I will continue with this approach, and plan on having the students each set up their own Funhouse and account for the class.
Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Don

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

To clarify - WipperSnapper is a new platform built on top of Adafruit IO, our IoT platform.

CircuitPython devices run a specific circuitpython firmware.
WipperSnapper devices run a specific WipperSnapper firmware.

You can not connect a device running CircuitPython to AdafruitIO Wippersnapper, you can connect it to Adafruit IO.

If you want to use the FunHouses with WipperSnapper, start from this page and install the WipperSnapper firmware: https://learn.adafruit.com/quickstart-a ... esp32-s2-2

kl7drice

Post by kl7drice »

Thanks for the reply. I would suggest adding a short summary of the software options available for Funhouse before the UF2 bootloader page in the "Primary Guide" so that people hitting this device cold (like me) can find the path that works for them. I knew I wanted to go with CircuitPython because the focus of the class is Python data tools (Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, etc.) so Python-based data acquisition is perfect. However trying to follow the various links from that initial document got me tangled up in the Wippersnapper stuff, not knowing what the difference was.
Anyway, things are working well now and I can see lots of possibilities for this board, far more than I can get to this semester. If time permits, I want to have people install an external sensor, but what I've got going now will be enough to start the class with next week.

Thanks,
Don

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Ok - understood - we'll look at ways to make this more clear. Glad things are working well, have a good semester!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”