How to declutter dashboards with many blocks

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
ItinerantProf

How to declutter dashboards with many blocks

Post by ItinerantProf »

I am building an automated greenhouse controller using a Metro M0 Express and WINC1500 wifi card. The project allows monitoring of greenhouse temperature, humidity, water usage, and soil moisture. As well, the project provides controls for watering, ventilation and heating. Consequently, there are many user interface components to render on the dashboard as blocks.

My question is how to organize all these components in order to declutter the dashboard. Is it possible segregate blocks for water monitoring from those related to ventilation, for example. In a Web HTML interface, you would naturally have a splash page and multiple sub-pages for the various monitors and controls. What is the equivalent using AdaIO? Can you employ multiple dashboards in the same project. What is best practice here?

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: How to declutter dashboards with many blocks

Post by brubell »

There's no real best practice, it's up to the user and your use case.

You may employ multiple dashboards to maybe control the sub-systems of your project.

If you click the cog/gear icon on the dashboard, it'll let you move the blocks around. You may find spacing them apart vertically helps.

ItinerantProf

Post by ItinerantProf »

Thanks for your reply. One further question. If I employed multiple dashboards, is there a way to link them together programmatically? For example, could a button implement a link between dashboards?

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

is there a way to link them together programmatically? For example, could a button implement a link between dashboards?
Not currently, no

ItinerantProf

Post by ItinerantProf »

Imagine my surprise to discover that there now IS a button for linking to other dashboards. It is called a "Dashboard Link" and seems to give me the functionality I was asking about. Apparently You can use this link to move from top-level pages to sub-pages and back again. Have I interpreted the functionality of this block correctly?

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

ItinerantProf wrote:Imagine my surprise to discover that there now IS a button for linking to other dashboards. It is called a "Dashboard Link" and seems to give me the functionality I was asking about. Apparently You can use this link to move from top-level pages to sub-pages and back again. Have I interpreted the functionality of this block correctly?
Forgot about that block since it's less used - yes that's exactly what it's for. Thanks for reminding me!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”