Can I get a notification if Adafruit disconnected

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
gbenna

Can I get a notification if Adafruit disconnected

Post by gbenna »

I have an ESP 8266-12e which is connected to Adafruit io. via my local WiFi. Is it possible to have a notification using IFTTT if the connection is disconnected for more that a specified amount of time, say 10 minutes? My WiFi goes down sometimes and I would like to know if the connection from the ESP client and Adafruit broker is down too long.

jwcooper

Re: Can I get a notification if Adafruit disconnected

Post by jwcooper »

Hi, you can do this within IO without using IFTTT.

On your io.adafruit.com/feeds page, click on the feed you'd like to monitor for if it goes offline. On the right sidebar of that individual feeds' page, you can see the "Notification" options. Set that up to notify you whenever your feed doesn't receive data in various time periods. IO will send an email to notify you.

gbenna

Post by gbenna »

Thank you works great. I wish it was a text message as that notifies me when I get the text as when I get an email I don't know when it comes in until I look at my mail.

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

We've looked into text messages, but the costs to send them are higher than email, and would require an IO+ account to make it manageable on our end. Beyond that, text message rates can vary wildly around the world, making it a bit more complicated to implement as well.

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

Many cell phone providers supply an email to SMS (text message) gateway. If you can get that information, you can then setup a rule in your email mailbox to forward emails from a specific source or with a specific subject line to be automatically forwarded to another email address. such as your cell phone provider's SMS gateway...

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”