Feather HUZZAH with ESP8266

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
melgoodwin

Feather HUZZAH with ESP8266

Post by melgoodwin »

My students are making friendship lamps with HUZZAH ESP8266 boards. We are using my AIO account and feed for testing. The first 3 or 4 work fine, but the remainder will not connect (the first 3 or 4 still work when we plug them in, however). Have I hit one of the limits built into the free accounts, or is there likely some other issue. Also, I can no longer connect to wifitest.adafruit.com using the simple code in the AIO Basics tutorial. Thanks!

dastels

Re: Feather HUZZAH with ESP8266

Post by dastels »

Does it matter which of them are the first 3 or 4?

Dave

dastels

Post by dastels »

How often to they post data to Adafruit IO? The free account has a limit of 30 data points per minute.

Dave

melgoodwin

Post by melgoodwin »

Thanks Dave. Yes, it matters which boards are used; only the original 3-4 will connect. It's possible that they may generate more than 30 posts per minute; they are basically sending a post each time they want to change the color state of neopixel rings built into the lamps. They don't HAVE to change colors that often, but they might have done so without realizing the limits.

Once the limit is exceeded, how long would further posts be locked out? Would this explain the ongoing lack of connectivity for other boards?

dastels

Post by dastels »

IF the other boards won't connect at all/ever that's most likely a different issue. Though... the ones that do connect... were they the first ones that you used?

Dave

melgoodwin

Post by melgoodwin »

yes, the ones that connect were the first ones we tested. I've tried using new boards loaded with the same code as that used on the boards that connect successfully; the new boards don't connect either

dastels

Post by dastels »

Can you successfully run other tests on the boards that won't connect? E.g. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... 2720763-33

melgoodwin

Post by melgoodwin »

I did try that code, which worked fine when we were just beginning to test, but I get the "connection failed" message when I try it with the newer boards.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

I did try that code, which worked fine when we were just beginning to test, but I get the "connection failed" message when I try it with the newer boards.
Are you using the same computer to upload the WiFi test example dastells posted to all the boards?

Have you isolated the boards which do not connect using the WiFi test example?

Are all the boards the Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266? Were they all purchased recently and at the same time? Could you provide me with a link to the product page?

Are all the boards connecting to the same WiFi network using the same credentials?

dastels

Post by dastels »

So it seems that the problem isn't with IO or it's use, but something more local to those boards. Have you checked them for soldering problems? Code runs so they are functional at the basic level.

All were tested in the same location (i.e. same WiFi signal strength etc)?
Check your WiFi router. There may be a maximum device limit that's been reached.

Hmm.. Do you see the wifi connected message?

Code: Select all

WiFi connected
IP address: <ip address>
and the connection attempt message?

Code: Select all

connecting to wifitest.adafruit.com
Dave

melgoodwin

Post by melgoodwin »

I have used the same computer for all uploads. I haven't tried the WiFi test on every board; I tried it on three of the boards that weren't connecting to my AIO account, and stopped when none of those worked.

I know which boards did not connect to the test example, but the situation has become a bit more involved because school ended yesterday for students in my class, and most have taken their boards home in hopes that they will have better success with their own routers and AIO accounts. I still have some new (still in the bubble wrap) boards and can try the tests on those next week.

All of the boards were purchased over the last month, though in several different orders. The ones that connect successfully were from the earlier orders. All are Feather HUZZAH ESP8266's, PID 2821, https://www.adafruit.com/product/2821

All tests were done with the same wifi network, and same credentials.

Thanks for working on this!

Dave, I did check soldering on the boards, and tested some boards that were right out of the package (i.e., no soldering involved). Same location for all attempts. I've only tested one or two boards at a time, and I do see the WiFi connected message, and the connection attempt message, but get the "connection failed" message when they try to connect to wifitest.adafruit.com.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”