WIPPERSNAPPER UPDATES

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
bliziotes

WIPPERSNAPPER UPDATES

Post by bliziotes »

Question from a newcomer. I have version v1.0.0-beta.34 of Wippersnapper. My dashboard indicates that an update is available. When I click on the update link, I get a page that has another link for updating at the bottom, and that link sends me to a page that shows various versions of Wippersnapper, starting with 1.0.0-beta.38. When I click on the link for that version, I see a page that lists "What's changed" and "Assets". I'm not sure which link contains the update. Please direct me to the correct link. Thanks.

DJDevon3

Re: WIPPERSNAPPER UPDATES

Post by DJDevon3 »

Depends on which board you have but here's a link to the github where you can download the zip file.
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... o/releases

You can go to that page and view the changelog between v1.0.0-beta.34 (version you have) to the latest v1.0.0-beta.38 by clicking on the "compare" button on the left side of the page.

bliziotes

Post by bliziotes »

Thanks for the response. Sorry to be obtuse, but which zip file on that page? There are four listed under "assets". Is it somewhere else?

Also, how does it depend on the board I'm using? My board is the Feather Huzzah 8266.

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

On the releases page that DJDevon3 linked to, the top of the page will say the latest release version. Right now it's beta 38.

In the "assets" section of beta 38, it has a list of files, beginning with wippersnapper.feather_esp32.littlefs.1.0.0-beta.38.zip

The "feather_esp32" portion tells you which board it's for, in this case for the Feather ESP32. The one for "feather_esp32s2" is for the Feather ESP32-S2, etc.

Scroll down the list of files until you find the one for your board.

Since you have a Feather Huzzah 8266, you want wippersnapper.feather_esp8266.littlefs.1.0.0-beta.38.zip

The Feather ESP8266 Learn Guide has a page dedicated to installing it: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... persnapper

bliziotes

Post by bliziotes »

Great. Thanks very much for the info.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Hi,

While the methods above are great and still work, last week, we added a new workflow via Adafruit IO for updating your board's WipperSnapper firmware. It makes it much easier (and of course - any feedback you have would be appreciated) to find the correct firmware for your board and clarifies how to install it.

If you visit the New Device page, located at https://io.adafruit.com/wippersnapper/new - you'll see a board selector showing all the boards which are compatible with WipperSnapper.

Search for your board and follow the steps in the wizard to download the latest firmware and update your board. The wizard's instructions are similar for installation and updating, except that for updating you do not need to load new credentials onto your board (we're working on a way to make this more clear).

We'll be updating the pre-existing guides for each board, including the ESP8266 HUZZAH, with the new workflow steps throughout the next week.

Let me know if you have any questions around this,

Brent

bliziotes

Post by bliziotes »

Thanks Brent.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”