Digital dashboard only allowed for me to use, no one else.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
janerette

Digital dashboard only allowed for me to use, no one else.

Post by janerette »

Hi there

I thought that I could add a user (who also created an io.adafruit acccount) to my digital/action feed so that they could use my dashboard which is basically my garage door opener. Turns out I can’t add a user to let them use it. When I put it on public access, it offered me to use the kiosk mode for regular mode. Neither of them work for the person who needs to use it. I would think this would be a problem to have a tool rigidly permitted to just one person. How can I work around this? Do I have to give them my logon credentials in order for them to do it?
Attachments
DA03F1BB-DF63-45F3-95EE-3EBA74357B9B.png
DA03F1BB-DF63-45F3-95EE-3EBA74357B9B.png (424.67 KiB) Viewed 317 times

eherrada

Re: Digital dashboard only allowed for me to use, no one els

Post by eherrada »

Yes, I do believe that is the case. I've sent it along to someone who knows more about this than I do to see if they have any workarounds.

eherrada

Post by eherrada »

Oh, I was completely wrong. Should have googled it before responding lol. Here's how you do that: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... -dashboard

janerette

Post by janerette »

Sadly that doesn't solve my problem. My guest can 'see' it but can't interact with it. The button is greyed out and though there's a load indicator along the top of the box, it doesn't actually load anything.

I really do not like that I will have to give him my UserName/Password to be able to use my garage door opener. When will multiple users be able to *use* rather than just *see* a dashboard?

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

As of now, you can share an individual feed to be read/write (on the feed's page in the right sidebar), but dashboards are read only, even if that feed is shared. I agree that sharing a user/pass is not optimal.

Honestly, we haven't had a lot of requests for write-able shared dashboards and it's quite a large feature to develop properly. It's something we've wanted to do, but other features have taken priority yet.

A short-term solution could be to create a new 'shared' Adafruit account with the only functionality of the account being this specific feed and dashboard. Again, not optimal, but at least it wouldn't be your personal Adafruit account with order history, etc.

janerette

Post by janerette »

Though my guest didn’t like the answer - and that I wouldn’t hand over my personal password to him in the meantime - I will take your advice and reprogram it with a new house IO account that I can share.

Thanks,

Jane

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”