Airlift Firmware update

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Giv

Airlift Firmware update

Post by Giv »

Hi,
I recently purchased two Airlift Breakout and read on its Web page to update the Firmware to (NINA_W102-1.7.4). So I Did that and I have the following output from it. I like to make sure the (Bold, Italic) Warning message below is just that and there is no issues with the update and the Airlift should be functioning withouit any issues.
See below;

\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages> python.exe -u -m esptool --port COM11 --before no_reset --baud 2400 write_flash 0 S:\Downloads\NINA_W102-1.7.4.bin
esptool.py v4.1
Serial port COM11
WARNING: Pre-connection option "no_reset" was selected. Connection may fail if the chip is not in bootloader or flasher stub mode.
Connecting......
Detecting chip type... Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again...
Connecting....
Detecting chip type... ESP32
Chip is ESP32-D0WD-V3 (revision 3)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
WARNING: Detected crystal freq 0.85MHz is quite different to normalized freq 26MHz. Unsupported crystal in use?
Crystal is 26MHz
MAC: e8:9f:6d:d3:0f:74
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Configuring flash size...
Flash will be erased from 0x00000000 to 0x0011afff...
Compressed 1159168 bytes to 633594...
Wrote 1159168 bytes (633594 compressed) at 0x00000000 in 56.1 seconds (effective 165.4 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...

Regards,
Givi

mikeysklar

Re: Airlift Firmware update

Post by mikeysklar »

This is just a WARNING and probably a non-issue, but if you are comfortable opening an issue here maybe we can get some further confirmation or a fix.

https://github.com/adafruit/nina-fw/issues

Giv

Post by Giv »

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. I just had to make sure that firmware update took 100% and there is no issue.

Regards.

DJDevon3

Post by DJDevon3 »

Maybe because you specified baud at 2400 so the clk had to adjust far below what it normally expects for serial communication? I mean you should be using baud rate 115200. Try running it again at higher baud rate. If you’re still getting that specific error while flashing no matter the baud then it could indicate a crystal problem.

Is there a specific reason you chose 2400? 9600 is usually as low as you’d want to go for debugging. When it comes to erasing flash you’re only really limited in speed by the speed of the flash chip… which is like above 300k depending on the chip.

Giv

Post by Giv »

Hi,

The connections were made on a breadboard with jumper wires and the higher baud rate caused too much noise and it was failinig. I read to lower the baud rate to reduce the noise so I chose 2400, which didn't take much time to upload.

If I end up tryiing it again, I'll start with higher baud rate next time.
Thank you for your input.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”