RE: Weather Stations

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jwtfpv

Re: RE: Weather Stations

Post by jwtfpv »

Hi dastels

Perhaps it's temperature? I've purchased three of these wind direction sensors. Two stop working during the evening when it's cold and one doesn't. We've had a fairly mild night 10C. The past few weeks however have been closer to 0C.

Cheers

Jase :)

DJDevon3

Post by DJDevon3 »

What wind direction sensor are you using? I’m interested in getting one for my weather station project. Maybe I’ll get the same and help you test. Any suggestions for other sensors are appreciated like rain gauge, wind speed, etc.. I’ve had my eye on the wind speed gauge in the Adafruit store for a while so I’ll probably get that. They don’t have other weather station related sensors for a full weather station project.

dastels

Post by dastels »

jwtfpv wrote:We've had a fairly mild night 10C. The past few weeks however have been closer to 0C.
I'm jealous of your temperatures as it's routinely high 20s or low 30s here these days.

How are they wind sensors failing?

Dave

jwtfpv

Post by jwtfpv »

Hi Guys

At this stage I can't really recommend the wind direction sensors that I'm using. After spending the last six months working at this in my spare time I'd suggest purchasing the Adafruit wind direction sensor. Save yourself the heartache.

How are the wind direction sensors failing? At this stage I think it's something to do with temperature. I've been running a test for the past twenty fours hours recording the number of attempts it takes to determine wind direction. During the day it's only a few. At night it can vary radically. The last number in the log is the number of attempts.
2022/07/24 9:07PMW22
2022/07/24 9:22PMW14
2022/07/24 9:39PMW82
2022/07/24 9:54PMW30
2022/07/24 10:10PMW35
I'll keep an eye on it tonight. The colder it gets the worse it gets. Perhaps it's moisture on the PCB? Although the other station is not bothered.

Cheers

Jase :)

Rcayot

Post by Rcayot »

I always use an "is available" as a test to ping adafruitio.

Also, change the order of sending data and see if the problem changes feed.

Ps. Wind direction is my next sensor on my weather station.

I use a lora packet radio as it has much longer range than wifi, I recieve on a spare rpi-4 to send to aio.

Roger

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”