New to ePaper

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
davidgelb

New to ePaper

Post by davidgelb »

Hi, I am brand new to Adafruit and would like to put together a 2.9" ePaper display for a guest network WiFi QR code.

I am looking at the following display: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4777

I am not clear what feather is best for this - I would like WiFi accessibility to update the display, but not clear what I need to complete this.

I was looking at the MagTag as well - it's all in one, but I don't necessarily need the front mounted buttons or Neopixels...unless it would be better to go with this kit instead of the above.

Thank you!
-David

rooppoorali

Re: New to ePaper

Post by rooppoorali »

neradoc

Re: New to ePaper

Post by neradoc »

Hi, the Magtag is a great all-included solution.
If you want to use the feather wing display I would advise pairing it with an ESP board, like ESP32-S2 Feather or Unexpected Makers's Feather S2 if you want to use Circuitpython.
For a QR code there are square displays like that one. But the wiring would be more involved (you could use a QT PY and hide it behind though).

For the coding, it depends how you want to do it. There is a QR code library in Circuitpython (example). If you need to update the QR code wirelessly, it depends also on whether the board is wired or on battery.
- You could have the board retrieve some data periodically from the network and deep sleep the rest of the time (good for battery).
- If you want to push the data to the board, you could have a simple server on it, but that limits the use of deep sleep.
- You could also use the upcoming Circuitpython 8 web workflow interface to manually update a file (and turn the power off the rest of the time, since it's e-ink).
- Other.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”