Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality.

Access to Adafruit.io, Gauges not working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Access to Adafruit.io, Gauges not working

by xjfo on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Hello, I was following the tutorial with the ESP8266 and the DHT22 sensor. I managed to publish my data and setup a temperature and humidity feed. I created a gauge for both temperature and humidity and it was displayed on my dashboard. When I edited both gauges to create a label (degrees C and %) the gauges stopped displaying data. I tried editing the feeds for the gauges, deleting the gauges and recreating, re-flashed the sketch to the ESP8266, created a new dashboard etc but I was never able to get the gauges to work again. When I viewed the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE I could see the temperature and humidity publish. Under the feed data I could also see the temperature and humidity values. The chart also showed the data. I ended up deleting all data but that just kicked me out of Adafruit.IO and now I have a option of requesting to join the beta.

xjfo

Re: Access to Adafruit.io, Gauges not working

by Keebie81 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Ive had issues with the guages getting messed up. I would select temperature but it would keep going to humidity or vice versa. If when you are at the select feed part if it shows good last data just delete the block and try again. Another thing sometimes that has helped is clicking the edit box on the block (the gear) but not changing anything and clicking create block.

Keebie81

by xjfo on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:05 pm

At this point I'm unable to do anything as I'm no longer in the Adafruit IO beta. I will need to wait until I'm back in again to try anything.

xjfo

by jwcooper on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:12 pm

xjfo wrote:At this point I'm unable to do anything as I'm no longer in the Adafruit IO beta. I will need to wait until I'm back in again to try anything.

I've re-enabled your account for the beta. I'll update that destroy data text to notify that it's permanent, and includes the IO account information as well.

Also, thank you for the bug report on the gauges. We'll look into it ASAP.

jwcooper

by xjfo on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks for re-enabling the account! I was just trying to erase the data while troubleshooting. I will try getting the gauges for temperature and humidity back up and running.

xjfo

by xjfo on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:38 pm

I have tried to add a gauge for both temperature and humidity. So far I am unable to get the gauges to show the data. Any ideas?

3.png
3.png (35.71 KiB) Viewed 563 times
3.png
3.png (35.71 KiB) Viewed 563 times
2.png
2.png (46.42 KiB) Viewed 563 times
1.png
1.png (52.83 KiB) Viewed 563 times

xjfo

by Keebie81 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:49 pm

I found this from another person with same issue
https://github.com/adafruit/io-issues/issues/32

Maybe try another browser? it looks like the data is making it there which is good, just the gauge not displaying it. I might not be getting this issue anymore because I have changed the delay to 180seconds between readings so mine doesn't update as much and possibly update while I am editing a block.

Keebie81

by jwcooper on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:51 pm

What browser and operating system are you using when the gauges aren't working?

jwcooper

by xjfo on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:54 pm

I have discovered that a text block will show the data. However there appears to be a bug. I can get the humidity to display but not the temperature. When selecting a feed for the temperature text block I choose the feed basement_temp. However when the block is created it defaults to my other feed, basement_humidity. It does not matter what I do, it will default back to basement_humidity every time. I'm afraid I did not grab a screen shot but when you go back to edit the feed will be set to basement_humidity even though you set it to basement_temp.
Attachments
7.png
7.png (10.88 KiB) Viewed 555 times
6.png
6.png (46.9 KiB) Viewed 555 times

xjfo

by xjfo on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Good idea to try a different browser, I had not thought of that. I'm running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.4 and Safari 8.0.7.

xjfo

by jwcooper on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Also, do you have any errors in the javascript console of the browser you're using? We're using websockets to populate that data, and just want to make sure they aren't getting blocked for some reason (firewalls, anti-virus software, etc).

Right click on page, inspect element, then click the 'Console' option when the developer tools show up.

jwcooper

by xjfo on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:04 pm

working.png
working.png (33.87 KiB) Viewed 527 times

Okay, the issue is solved. The answer was in the link you sent. All I had to do was unpower the ESP8266 and go back in and reselect each feed. After the feeds were edited for each block I powered up the ESP8266 and everything works!

xjfo

by jwalter on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:54 pm

I just had the same problem. In my case, I deleted two feeds and then tried to create new ones using the same name. Data was being posted the feed and I could see the data graphically using my dashboard, but I couldn't create new gauges showing the data. I tried deleting the data associated with my account, which deleted my entire account. I would appreciate it if it could be restored. Thanks!

jwalter

by jwalter on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 pm

When my gauges stopped working I was using Safari. I tried using Chrome without success. I had cleared the history and cache on both browsers, but it didn't help.

jwalter

by jwcooper on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:27 pm

I think we have enough data to fix this. I'm guessing we'll have it deployed next week sometime. Thanks for all the feedback.

jwalter - your account should be restored now. Reply here if you're having issues yet.

Thanks!

jwcooper

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.