Alternate email address for triggers and SMS alerts
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Alternate email address for triggers and SMS alerts

by bbx10node on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:39 pm

My alerts are buried in lots of unimportant email so I suggest adding a secondary email address just for alerts.

A nice side effect is alerts via SMS. For example, T-Mobile users can send a short email to <t-mobile phone number>@tmomail.net then receive an SMS message a few seconds later. The usual cell plan rates apply and you must have SMS in your cell plan. Other cell carriers have similar email to SMS gateways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gatew ... il_clients

bbx10node

Re: Alternate email address for triggers and SMS alerts

by jwcooper on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:51 pm

We've avoided this due to concerns with spam, but this is a good scenario where an alternative email would be useful. I think in order to do this, you'd need to validate that email address is yours, so there is a bit of coding involved here. I'll add it to our TODO list.

In the meantime, you could sign up for IFTTT.com and send alerts out to an email or android/ios notifications as well. The Adafruit IFTTT.com channel was activated this past Friday.

jwcooper

by bbx10node on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:50 am

In my case, my telephone number on record with Adafruit for orders is the same number I would like to use for SMS alerts so that sort of indicates I authorize the messages. If I want to send email/SMS alerts to an email address/number not in my Adafruit account, I understand an extra validation step would be required.

Thanks, I will give IFTTT a look.

bbx10node

by bbx10node on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Yay, IFTTT and Zapier support sending SMS messages.

bbx10node

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.