Feed limit reached

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
pdp8

Re: Feed limit reached

Post by pdp8 »

Another vote for more feeds (free or otherwise).

rocketgeek

Post by rocketgeek »

I also need some more -- I want to use it for remote telemetry and command of Hackerboat project (https://hackaday.io/project/8522-hackerboat). I used my 10 feeds about five minutes into throwing my first dashboard for the project together.

PS -- If it helps, a number of things on the boat were sourced from Adafruit.

nohab

Post by nohab »

Another vote for more feeds.

For me, lower rate and also less data per feed would be acceptable.
I'd prefer 50 feeds with 10k each rather than todays 10x50k

kampto

Post by kampto »

nohab wrote:Another vote for more feeds.

For me, lower rate and also less data per feed would be acceptable.
I'd prefer 50 feeds with 10k each rather than todays 10x50k
Agreed, Allowing lots more feeds at lower publish rates would be great.

LikeABoat

Post by LikeABoat »

I agree with all of the above and I'd like to add a new suggestion. It would be great if we could get 5 or 10 feeds with purchase of a Huzzah or other WiFi boards. The more I purchase from Adafruit now the harder it is to use AdafruitIO. But I do love the service overall. Simple to use and looks good.
One ask for the dashboards would be an easy way to add text or photos to the dashboards. Not from a feed, just static. A way to have a key one the charts would be great too.
Keep up the good work!

bphick

Post by bphick »

Amen LikeABoat, I mentioned that to LadyAda when I first started to buy Huzzah's... when I ran into "the feed wall." As a novice not knowing how to run on another service, once my Huzzah limit was maxed, I had to be done. I would have bought a ton more if each Huzzah came with a reasonable 5 - 10 feeds that matches the ESP-12 chip's capabilities. I did not know that there was a feed limit when I initially bought my Huzzah's. Now one sits in front of me unused because 3 others used up all my feeds, and I like them configured as they are.

hrishikesh

Post by hrishikesh »

I too have hit the max number of feeds. I don;t have a lot of data, but I use the feeds not just as posting data but also as "control" params for other connected devices.
Limiting the amount of data to 1 month of 50k per feed etc is fine. But locking down to just 10 feeds is a very frustrating (when u don't have a lot of data).

Please remove the feed limit or atleast bump it up to 50 or something.

andreibosco

Post by andreibosco »

One more vote to increase the limit, 10 feeds is just too low :(

drdavel

Post by drdavel »

In the limits page it is stated that data is retained for thirty days. Just to be clear, does that mean that I should download and clear data monthly to retain it?

I'm doing an update (2 feeds) on a 60 minute basis so I won't reach the data limit (50K) in 30
days.

ironman7679

Post by ironman7679 »

I agree with the above posts about the feed limits. I get a great deal of value from Adafruit IO and the step by step instructions for getting up and running. I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for the ability to have increased feeds, data limits, premium widgets and/or more customization with triggers. Any word on plans after coming out of beta?

Thanks for a great service!

blitzsss

Post by blitzsss »

I was evaluating Adafruit IO for some of my home based project and very quickly reached this limit. This was very BANNED because Adafruit IO was looking very promising :( for now I am continuing to use another free open source product which has no limits but will be watching Adafruit IO in hope these limits are increased :)

kampto

Post by kampto »

I want to buy several more feather boards for IoT monitoring stations, but whats the point if I cant use them for IoT... Adafruit should give registered users 10 extra feeds for every IOT board purchased.. The data cap could remain the same.

jhornbr225

Post by jhornbr225 »

I'll chime in on the feed limits as well. I ran into the 10 feed limit and didn't know about it, until I read some documentation. I thought my code sucked, or that my ESP8266 was burping on me.

I'd like to grab temp and humidity from the following: (Along with a guess on the frequency)

3 different outbuildings - 6 Feeds (Every Half-Hour)
Basement - 2 Feeds (Every Half-Hour)
Furnace Return Air and Supply Air - 4 Feeds (Every Ten Minutes)
Woodburner Air in and Out - 4 Feeds (Every Five Minutes, Winter Only)
Outdoor - 2 Feeds (Every Ten Minutes, maybe Half-Hour)

Temp Only Feeds:

Pool Water - 1 Feed (Every Half-Hour, Summer only)

Control Feeds (I can only see these changing states a couple times/day and winter only)

Woodburner High and Low limit - 2 Feeds
Woodburner Over/Under Temp Buzzer and Silence Buzzer - 4 Feeds

I'm sure I could get creative and just post data combined into one string, or at least combine the temp and humidity. And I could probably combine the control bits into one feed. If I do those things however, I feel they will lose some of their "readability" by looking at the website. Especially the woodburner. It would be nice to see that temperature from my phone, so I can tell if I need more wood while I'm out and about. Although I'm sure I could set up a text or something to let me know if I've fallen under the low limit. I'm really a beginner at all this.

So I'm voting for 30 relatively low frequency update feeds. That allows 20% over my current count. And I really don't need the data retained for more than a 24 hour period.

blitzsss

Post by blitzsss »

allow each account something like 50MB storage, that way the user can choose to balance to their own needs, feed count, update frequency or data retention.

jaycollett

Post by jaycollett »

I'd agree with the idea that each "free" user should get 50MB or something of the sort and as well as limiting the publish interval to something like 1/sec per feed. This protects data usage sprawl as well as latency/connectivity issues. I'd be interested in some sort of hobby pricing to help with this awesome effort. Very long time supporter of Adafruit and realize nothing in life is free. I'd be in at say $10-$20/year, anymore than that and it's more likely I'd try to find an opensource code package and run my own server to collect and visual data...VPS accounts are super cheap these days...

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”