GroupSensors not working with ESP8266 - WDT crash on second
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: GroupSensors not working with ESP8266 - WDT crash on sec

by adafruit2 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:05 am

right now the adafruitMQTT library doesnt support packets longer than 127 (or so) bytes - we'll look at fixing but for now, just write to mulitple feeds or make your data chunks smaller! :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:28 am

Here is the issue in the MQTT library to track: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_MQ ... /issues/17

jwcooper

by daemach on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 pm

I shortened all of my feed names. The data packet is now 77 bytes and the feeds and data still aren't showing up.

BTW, I'm using a new group name now - iaqmon. The group was created automatically, but the feeds weren't.

daemach

by daemach on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:16 pm

I just deleted the iaqmon group and once again it was created without any attached feeds.

daemach

by daemach on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:37 am

Any more thoughts on this? I still don't see data showing up in my feeds, yet my device has been sending data for weeks.

daemach

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:51 am

There are two issues with the groups functionality that you've run into, we've fixed one of them so far.

The other is within the IO server that requires more involved code changes, and testing before we can deploy it.

jwcooper

by daemach on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:22 pm

Do you have an estimate when it will be fixed? I cannot proceed.

daemach

by daemach on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Checking in again - it has been a month since I opened this case. Is this going to be resolved at some point?

daemach

by jwcooper on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:49 pm

The solution is to rename your feeds to be unique, within your account (temperature-1, temperature-iaqmon, etc). Feeds need to be uniquely named, even within a group. Right now your feeds in the second group are failing to be created due to naming collisions. Also, you can view these errors now in the stream block. Create a stream block, and MQTT errors will be sent there.

We're updating docs to mention groups as a helper, but not something you can scope as unique feed name to.

In the near future, non-unique feed names sent from a group will update whatever feed name is entered, and not try to create a new feed specific for that group if the feed name is not unique. Our docs will explain this better soon.

jwcooper

by daemach on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:20 pm

So there will never be a way to see the temperature, or any of the other 5 feeds, across all of my devices then, correct? I don't think this is a very good way to handle things :/

I'll start looking elsewhere for a solution. The fact that you can't use dynamic group or feed names either is really limiting, and it makes the MQTT library generally useless except for the simplest possible configurations. For the sake of this service, and Adafruit's good name, I hope you can get all of this sorted out at some point.

Good luck!

daemach

by jwcooper on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Thank you for your concerns, and well wishes. In regards to the dynamic group names, it turns out you don't have to store that data in progmem. See here: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_MQ ... T.cpp#L597. You can use dynamic group names.

You can still group your data with dynamically generated feed names, they just have to be unique (for many reasons, and we've discussed this at length internally). Instead of sending:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
iaqmon: {temperature: 54, humidity: 55}

send the following:
iaqmon: {temperature-serialnumber: 54, humidity-serialnumber: 55}

or
iaqmon: {temperature-1: 54, humidity-1:55}

Or whatever else you can dream up to make the names unique. This then allows you to send data not within that group to an individual feed in the future. We're trying to make this as simple as possible for as many users as possible.

I'm not sure i understand your first question? Where do you want to view the data? How do you envision that UI working in the best way for you? You can currently view your data within the group now, or you can view all of your individual feeds on the /feeds page (eventually with charting and mapping just like the /groups/group-name page to compare across all feeds). We're also updating groups to allow feeds to be in multiple groups for even more options for comparison.

jwcooper

by daemach on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:18 pm

I'm going off this example - please provide a way to make it work without progmem here: https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-io ... or.ino#L60

Let's say that I want to use this device to manage a nursery. I have 1 composite device per tent (6 feeds for air quality), 10 single-feed devices that communicate with that composite device and 40 tents. For an alarm/monitoring panel, I want to know what the temperature is across all of my tents at one time. Or humidity, or CO2 level, air flow, you name it. Or maybe I want to see the soil moisture for all of the plants in one tent. (they are the single-feed devices), or the average soil moisture across all of my tents. In a truly hierarchical design, this should be easy.

Internally, I think every feed should belong to a group. If I don't send you a groupID, then it's automatically in group 0 where ALL of the single (non-grouped) feeds live for my account. Then you can slice the data up any way you need to without having to use unique feed names.

daemach

by jwcooper on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:04 pm

So, we're actually going to do allow the heirarchical groups/feeds with names unique within a group. There are a lot of edge cases that we have to code for here, but I don't think it should take very long to implement. This will allow your complex scenarios listed below, but we're also keeping it simple for beginners that will almost certainly not need anything near that complex.

We don't have any examples yet for non-PROGMEM usage, but will add them to the TODO.

jwcooper

by daemach on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:33 pm

But if every feed name is unique, how will you implement the ability to grab a temperature feed from each device? Will we be able to/have to use wildcards? temperature*? humidity*?

daemach

by jwcooper on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Feed names will be unique to the groups now. There will be a default group for every feed unless you create the feed as part of a group. Once we deploy the change, you can have multiple feeds named temperature as long as they are in different groups.

iaqmon - temperature
iaqmon2 - temperature

If you request a feed named 'temperature' without passing in the group, it will pull from your default group that is automatically created for every user.

There is a lot more to this change, so it will take a bit of time to build properly.

jwcooper

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.