Is Adafruit IO down?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Is Adafruit IO down?

by bphick on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:55 pm

Both of my feeds on two different PCs were down when I went to bed last night (Friday). Checking now at 8:50 PM Saturday, still no change. The guages show a read that hasn't moved since I saw them Friday, and the charts say "no data." I reset one of my devices to see if it made any difference... no. Serial monitor reads:
"Failed to publish temperature.
Failed to publish humidity"

I have just the stock standard Huzzah ESP8266 connected to a DHT22... all vanilla and hooked, as I said above, to a PC. All seems to check out from my end.

bphick

Re: Is Adafruit IO down?

by bphick on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:06 pm

No it's not down. Somehow the ESPs were booted off the network. Unplugging them and plugging them back in, not just hitting the reset, brought them back on-line. Concerning...

bphick

by bphick on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:43 pm

One at a time only??
Upon experimenting, I have found that after almost 2 months of perfect operation the two Huzzah ESP8266s that I have are suddenly not playing together. When one is in operation, the other will not. I have given them both static IP addresses distantly apart from each other, and rebooted them many different ways. Once the second one logs into Adafruit.IO, the other goes down regardless of the order they are brought in, the other goes down. Serial monitor reads:
"Failed to publish temperature.
Failed to publish humidity"

Any ideas? I have 2 more on order, so I need to get this resolved and my trust level back up. They must be reliable.
Thanks in advance for your input.

bphick

by bradt on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Are you using unique ClientIDs?

bradt

by bphick on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks for asking.
No bradt I am not. It never was a problem having both of them feed and run to a single dashboard until 2 days ago (Friday night).
The really bad thing here is that I just got my brother to get an Adafruit account and to set up the Temp/Hum DHT22 tutorial.
We bought 4 more Huzzah's ESP8266s from his new account.2 for him 2 more for me. We're both really excited by what we see we can do with these little things. I could put a lot more of them to good use in multiple buildings.

If this can't be put back to where multiple ESP's can be run on at least a single dashboard, I'm going to be left with a lot of egg on my face after bragging / show-n-telling how great the two that I had going and how great Adafruit.Io (and especially the dashboard and the IFTTT interface) is. I am concerned because now I'm pretty sure the problem is not on my end.

bphick

by alanm on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:20 am

My feeds stopped also. Nothing has changed on my end so I'm thinking its on Adafruit.io end.

alanm

by bphick on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:23 am

Bradt:
BTW: I'm a total newbie as one can tell.
The code says:
// Set a unique MQTT client ID using the AIO key + the date and time the sketch
// was compiled (so this should be unique across multiple devices for a user,
// alternatively you can manually set this to a GUID or other random value).
const char MQTT_CLIENTID[] PROGMEM = AIO_KEY __DATE__ __TIME__;"

Should I be manually placing something like a date and time where the blanks are to make a unique client ID for each device?
It lead me to believe that a single unique code was to be used across multiple devices.
Did I misinterpret something?

bphick

by jwcooper on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:26 pm

We upgraded some software components that were causing connection issues with MQTT due to the higher volumes now that we added a lot more beta testers. This is why we're still in beta! ;)

Please try again, and let us know if it's working for you.

Also, with the latest mqtt library, you shouldn't need to set a client id at all. We've upgraded the library to support mqtt 3.1.1 which allows for the server to generate the client id. Pull request that was merged in is here: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_MQ ... ry/pull/10

jwcooper

by bphick on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks for getting back so fast! I'll give it a go with the old code and see what happens. If necessary I'll put in the new library.
The current plan would be to update the code when I get my new units.

bphick

by bphick on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:25 pm

jwcooper, 7 min into it, and they are both working fine with the old code.

Is there a place where I should be looking for "Release Notes" or "Update Notes" so I can see messages like, "We're going to update the server," "Hang with us, the system may be flakey for a couple of hrs/days?"

Also, what would be a good suggested way to get at least 8 hrs (or more) of chart data? I cut my feed rate from the 10 sec. proto to 1x per min. and surprisingly got less data in the graphical display.

bphick

by alanm on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:38 pm

All is working fine for me now too! Thanks for getting it back up.

alanm

by bphick on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Wow, I bumped into this newer site (7 days old for this post) and it brings easy IoT interface up a notch.

http://iot-playground.com/2-uncategoris ... troduction

bphick

by nramond on Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:01 am

Could someone tell me what I have to do for solving that problem ? I created a topic on my own but something tells me it's the same problem.
My esp8266 won't connect to io.adafruit but I cannot get information on the server-side so it's pretty like to be all at sea.
Thanks.

nramond

by bphick on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:34 am

nramond:
To help answer that question; have you ever been able to make a connection, or have you just lost a previous connection?

bphick

by nramond on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:02 am

Thank you for replying. I created that topic : viewtopic.php?f=56&t=84156
But I'm sure you have already seen it. For answering your question, everything worked fine until few days ago.
I succeeded to follow the tutorial with a huzzah esp8266, but now I'm unable to establish any connection between my esp and io.adafruit.
I saw that maybe there was a change on the server-side but I don't know exactly how to have more verbose of my esp for having more understanding of the problem.
Thank you for any help you can provide.

nramond

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.