IO Server for an offline network
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IO Server for an offline network

by Cptnslick on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:31 pm

I'd like to know what's involved in running a local copy of IO server. I'm building a system for my boat and Internet isn't always available.

I'd like something like this:
Arduino <--> Local IO Server <--> Adafruit IO

It would be great if the Local server could cache data and then sync with AIO once it has an Internet connection.

Am I reading the github docs correctly? Is all of this possible through the server instance and the TLS tunnel? What about the server to server piece?

Many thanks!

Cptnslick

Re: IO Server for an offline network

by jwcooper on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:35 pm

You can do everything but sync back up with IO, I believe. The one thing the hosted IO version is missing is being able to batch upload data. We're working on that piece though. Otherwise, yes, the open source server can be run locally and offline. Once we can get batch uploading working, you should be able to upload your data to IO as well.

jwcooper

by Cptnslick on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Sounds good. I'm excited the try it out and look forward to playing with the batch option in the future.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Cptnslick

by alanm on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:09 pm

How would one go about getting a hold of the open source version of IO? Will it run on a Raspberry Pi?

alanm

by jwcooper on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:24 pm

It's here: https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-io-node

That's the API compatible server backend, and not the dashboard or web ui. It does run on the Raspberry Pi, and is quite lightweight.

jwcooper

by alanm on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Thank you jwcooper! So it the dashboard and web ui not open source?

alanm

by jwcooper on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:12 pm

That's correct, the dashboard and web ui are not open source. They are too tightly integrated with our auth, and also would be tough to get setup and running due to the complex dependencies.

The idea is that your data is not trapped on our hosted service. You can export your data, and keep using it on your own adafruit io server, or plug it into other services.

jwcooper

by Cptnslick on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:11 pm

I am a novice at best when it comes to web programming. Can anyone recommend a good place to learn how to build an interface similar to Adafruit's? Something with example code would be great. Thanks!

Cptnslick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.