Cannot Use Karma Go Service/Cellular WiFi Gateway for IoT
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cannot Use Karma Go Service/Cellular WiFi Gateway for IoT

by w5anm on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:19 am

Howdy.

Anybody used (or heard of) Karma Go? https://yourkarma.com/

From AF I was introduced to Ting for SIM Cards & T-Mobile for GPRS (ala FONA). https://ting.com/

Love Ting. They introduced me to Karma which provides WiFi Hotspot connectivity for up to 8 users over the Sprint LTE network, pay up-front (1GB min) for data that never expires - just "refill" when low.

Neat, BUT not for IoT (ala ESP8266/Huzzah et al). Karma has a catch in that YOUR Karma Go device allows others to use it as a Hotspot for 100MB of data - they just have to enter their (any, ANY) email address and a password to set up their temporary account then they are online. YOU have no choice in this matter, but you DO get hit back with a 100MB credit to your non-expiring data balance. Okay.

However, to access YOUR Karma Go account/GBs purchased, you have to LOG IN from a Browser (pressing the Log In Link) and enter your Karma account username/password. Then your Browser is "set free" and you're online, using YOUR pre-paid bandwidth.

This means there is NO OPTION (guest or device/account owner) to connect to the Karma Go AP using only SSID and Password!

What a shame. I wanted to carry my WiFi HotSpot with me so my Widgets can always find the Internet / Adafruit.io, etc. Yes, I could use my phone, but "...that trick NEVER works Bullwinkle" -- especially at Demo Time!

Wondering if anybody else has even tried Karma Go? It is neat for Phones/Tablets/Notebooks once you authenticate from the Browser Hijack, but no "paste SSID & password into the Sketch" here.

If I hear nothing (I find nothing searching Google), then I might try a 'web-scrape' hack and see if I can authenticate using HTTP before I decide to return it (might keep it just to drop/aggregate data for my real Sprint account devices if I don't drop Sprint all together in favor of going ALL TING for everything!).

I know I could always backhaul all the devices with a FONA/ESP8266 purpose-built gateway, but that's a non-trivial 'Sketch' (and 2G/GPRS).

-Grayson, W5ANM, Austin, TX, USA

w5anm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.