Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Jan 1 2016 - HTTP POST 422
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Jan 1 2016 - HTTP POST 422

by trawlergeek on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:33 am

New Years greetings to all:

I have enjoyed bringing life to a prototype feed using Adafruit.IO..

My simple weather station feed apparently is unable to post values - seems that it started to fail late last evening. Perhaps the party started early... ;-)

The error is: HTTP POST failed with error code: 422
The sensor employs an Arduino Ethernet board and the REST API to submit stream data via a wired connection..

Review of the feed and dashboard shows historical data posted to the feed was last updated at Dec 31, 2015 @6:24 PM (NY time).

Is there a server update or maintenance ongoing?

I am having fun with this service. I can image a plethora of possibilities.

Best regards,

Jim - Indialantic, FL

trawlergeek

Re: Jan 1 2016 - HTTP POST 422

by trawlergeek on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Update: I tore down (deleted) the old FEED and created a new FEED from scratch. Of course, the ID changed.
Another recent post indicated that the feed numbering changed. I can confirm that my previous feed id (created a few days ago) was also in the 5xxxxx range. The new feed created later today was in a similar range - just somewhat higher in the 5xxxxx range.

Still unable to HTTP POST to the feed. The feed was working 12/31/15.
The error return code is 422. So, the connection to the was not rejected with a 404.

I wonder what is going on with the feeds?

Cheers
Jim

trawlergeek

by trawlergeek on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Yesterday, I tore down all of the feeds and dashboards. Today, the Welcome feed and dashboard has been restored by the system.

Rebuilt the example CC3000 IO sketch, added my AP network particulars and attempted to POST to the Welcome feed and then read the latest value.
I am unable to port new data to the welcome feed, but I can read the latest value. I can change, using the slider, the feed value. And then I can read it back using the CC3000 sketch.

So, post is failing and read is not.

When I recreate a new Wind Speed feed and dashboard, I am unable to post data and when I read data, I think a NULL is being received based on the log...

Adafruit IO CC3000 test!
Init the CC3000...Firmware V. : 1.24
Deleting old connection profiles
Attempting to connect to PolarExpress777...Connected!
Requesting DHCP

IP Addr: 192.168.78.36
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.78.1
DHCPsrv: 192.168.78.1
DNSserv: 192.168.78.1
Ready!

1 <--- value in post to feed
HTTP POST in send()
Trying GetHostByName...

HTTP POST failed with error code: 422
Error writing value to feed!
Waiting 10 seconds and then reading the feed value.
Trying GetHostByName...
HTTP GET failed with error code: 406
Received value from feed:
Waiting 10 seconds and then writing a new feed value.

HTTP POST in send()
Trying GetHostByName...
HTTP POST failed with error code: 422
Error writing value to feed!
Waiting 10 seconds and then reading the feed value.
Trying GetHostByName...
HTTP GET failed with error code: 406
Received value from feed:
Waiting 10 seconds and then writing a new feed value.

I am going to replace the Adafruit IO Arduino library next...
I really like the potential of this IO service and I hope that the source of this regression from a working to failing client can be fixed.

Cheers!

Jim

trawlergeek

by trawlergeek on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Update:

Replaced the Adafruit IO Arduino library with a fresh instance. It seems this did not resolve the inability to update the feed.

I added a slider to my Wind Speed feed, just like the slider in the Welcome feed.
After adjusting the slider I am able to read my Wind Speed feed using the CC3000 IO sketch - still not able to update the feed.

Cheers!

Jim

trawlergeek

by trawlergeek on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:29 pm

I didn't get a favor of a reply - but from another feed that apparently warranted a reply...

by jwcooper on 05 Jan 2016 03:09
Hi, your feeds weren't changed, but the way you access them were changed. Your old feeds are still there. Sorry for the non-notice on this though. This feature went out early with performance changes that were necessary prior to the weekend. We're trying to simplify how you access the feeds. We previously had 3 different ways to get the same resource and it wasn't necessary. The one way to do this is now using the feed name only. The id and key access have been removed.

Since I can't be positive or constructive about how the access methods were changed without any notice whatsoever, I will just quietly walk away........

trawlergeek

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.