Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Feeds: Name vs Key?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feeds: Name vs Key?

by uid_zero on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:17 pm

I'm using the Adafruit MQTT client on Arduino (on a Huzzah, if that matters). I have been fighting with feeds for the past few weeks (ok, for an hour here and there over the course of a few weeks).

I finally figured out that I was writing 2 values to the same feed, which was stupid on my part. But once the data was being written to the right feeds, I saw that new feeds were created for my new data.

I created feeds with capital letters in the name, and I saw that the key was lower case. I used the key value in my code, and it ended up creating a new feed with that as the name. I'm going to do some more testing, but I wanted to ask about what the proper functionality was supposed to be.

tl;dr - When I write to a feed, am I supposed to use the name or the key for the feed?

uid_zero

Re: Feeds: Name vs Key?

by jwcooper on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:03 pm

Use the feed name from now on. The key has been removed. It is too confusing to have multiple ways to access the same resource.

jwcooper

Re: Feeds: Name vs Key?

by uid_zero on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks, that explains the weird behavior I was seeing.

uid_zero

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.