Cannot post to feeds anymore

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
haku15

Cannot post to feeds anymore

Post by haku15 »

Dear Adafruit,

I cannot suddenly post anymore to any of my feeds and I am not sure if you're doing some mainteinance work or if I caused some error.
Based on the library here https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_IO ... A/FONA.ino, I created a code that was posting values to my feeds and it was working fine.
Today, I wanted to post a CSV String containing GPS data, but I did not declare the feed as CVS type. Since then, any post to any Feed (also non CSV) is not working anymore. Can it be that after posting a CSV String to a non-CSV feed, now there is something hanging on the server side? Or maybe there are currently other problems with AIO? The string looked similar to this "0,1.198365,29.100436,135.000000" (I changed the values for privacy...).
I am using REST API. The code for a non-CSV feed look like this (I write here only the relevant part)

Code: Select all

#define AIO_KEY "mykey..."

Adafruit_IO_FONA aio = Adafruit_IO_FONA(fona, AIO_KEY);
Adafruit_IO_Feed battFeed = aio.getFeed("battFeed");

if (battFeed.send(battVoltage)) {
    Serial.print(F("Wrote value to feed: ")); Serial.println(battVoltage);
  }
  else {
    Serial.println(F("Error writing value to feed!"));
  }
Is it correct if I declare the CSV for the GPS feed like this (REST API):

Adafruit_IO_Feed gpsLocFeed = aio.getFeed("GPSloc.csv");
and use the String format: "sensor_value,latitude,longitude,elevation"?

Thanks

PS: Maybe you do this already, if not, can you please post in the forum or somewhere if there is mainteinance work or some error that cause the IO not to work? I know it's still Beta, but it would be good if possible

undeadmanatee

Re: Cannot post to feeds anymore

Post by undeadmanatee »

I'm trying to run the basic ESP8266 Arduino example today and it appears to run fine and connect to wifi but can't seem to post or read data.

+1 on it would be nice to post to the forum or a header on the main Adafruit.io page when the system is down for known maintenance. Would help us know when to troubleshoot and when to just wait.

Thanks!

sloot

Post by sloot »

same here. my Arduino devices that respond to AIO stopped working, but my python scripts that update AIO are still updating.

Reminder to myself and others: We've been told that AIO is beta, and it is also free.

hukuzatuna

Post by hukuzatuna »

@Sloot sez
Reminder to myself and others: We've been told that AIO is beta, and it is also free.
Good reminder. My long-running Python program occasionally woofs on a .publish() method on an Adafuit IO object that I just checked with .AIOGetConnStatus(). It throws an error (which, of course, I can't find in my log right now, so it hasn't happened in a while) on the attempt to publish() to a disconnected stream, which I catch with try:/except: and re-connect. We need to write code that recognizes that adafruit.io is an Internet web service delivered on a "best effort" SLO.

I'm sure they're working on defining their actual service level objectives for the paid tiers, but for now, we need to be patient and wait for announcements. Or we can do this:

Hey, @adafruit - if you'd like some pro bono consulting/engineering on adafruit.io as a paid service, contact me. I'd be happy to help out. :-) I know you are just now dipping your toes into the IoT MSP pool and might need assistance.

Cheers,
Phil

haku15

Post by haku15 »

Thanks guys for your feedbacks. Hopefully somebody from Adafruit can give us further info, also about the REST CSV declaration.

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

haku15 wrote: Is it correct if I declare the CSV for the GPS feed like this (REST API):

Adafruit_IO_Feed gpsLocFeed = aio.getFeed("GPSloc.csv");
and use the String format: "sensor_value,latitude,longitude,elevation"?

Thanks

PS: Maybe you do this already, if not, can you please post in the forum or somewhere if there is mainteinance work or some error that cause the IO not to work? I know it's still Beta, but it would be good if possible
I don't think you can get the data using that library as it sets the content-type and uses the helper methods to get and set data. You'll want to either use our python/ruby/node libraries for REST, or try using MQTT as that can handle the csv format on an Arduino.

We are working on a status and maintenance page. We're continuing to roll out more servers, and working on stabilizing our infrastructure and code as we keep adding more users to IO.

haku15

Post by haku15 »

Thanks jwcooper! I've just tried now the basic sketch sample from the library I cited above and I still get "error writing to feed". The GPRS connection is working.
Has AIO been down for 3 days or maybe I need to for example delete my feeds or recreate a new IO account?
Thanks
Sincerely

sloot

Post by sloot »

I had arduino devices that were not sucessfully pulling AIO data for days. When I got home today, they had pulled data.

Translation: I think that something was broken and got fixed.

haku15

Post by haku15 »

Nice that is working for you :)
I've tried again both MQTT and REST, but still no success.

haku15

Post by haku15 »

Posting via REST seems to work again for me as well, even if sometimes the data not appear under the feed and I always get the message "Error writing values to the feed". I'll check my code for that.
The basic test I did with MQTT still does not work, but the cause is probably my 2G network provider (TCP port blocked?)
About posting CSV Strings to a feed via REST, I opened a dedicated thread http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p448884
Thanks again

clemens

Post by clemens »

MQTT is working here for more than 24h without any problem. Perhaps it's really your GSM network.

haku15

Post by haku15 »

I found the reason I could not publish data with MQTT : http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=89410

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”