How to post a float value to a feed ?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
huguescmoi

How to post a float value to a feed ?

Post by huguescmoi »

Hi,
Context : ESP8266 Arduino, posting sensor data to a feed.
Issue : I succeed to post int values to a feed (with command MyTestFeed.send(x), x being an integer); but as soon as I try to execute the same command with x being a float, it fails to write x to the feed.

Can we only post interger to Adafruit IO ? If not, what do I have to change to post a number (a float) like "21.35" ?

clemens

Re: How to post a float value to a feed ?

Post by clemens »

huguescmoi

Post by huguescmoi »

I do not see any solution in this other forum topic you are pointing to, only confirmation of the problem. Concretely what and where is the patch they are mentionning ?

clemens

Post by clemens »

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=87611&p=441930#p441189
I've found a workaround. Using dtostrf on it and posting the string works :).

huguescmoi

Post by huguescmoi »

Thx.
However this command converts a float into a string. Isn't that a problem for IO Adafruit to draw charts requiring number values and not strings ? It does not seem very logical...

clemens

Post by clemens »

In my setup it is working well, and the string / char definition is on the Arduino side only. So the Adafruit IO gets only some json or whatever stuff and no information that the variable is a char!

Nevertheless yes, that's a bit funny but not so unique. It's necessary for some other payloads also, e.g. the RFM69 lib expects also char as payload.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”