Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Had an Epiphany
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Had an Epiphany

by justterry on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Alright I want to start by saying that I am new to MQTT and Adafruit IO. and so far I really like what I see. I picked up 2 huzzah esp modules and have been playing around with them. after a couple days I came to understand the idea of publish and subscribe and even manages to get the two modules to talk to each other thru AIO. So far very cool and exciting.

I started with a simple setup of one with a button and one with a LED. push the button on one and LED lights up on the other one.
I would press the button and watch as the slider on the Dashboard flipped and the LED on the other board lit up. (Yes I know simple)

I like simple, I like small steps, its harder for me to get lost that way.

Without thinking to much about it I closed the dashboard and looked at my two boards. I pushed the button. The LED lit up.
(Simple, I know)
That is when I realized that I didn't really need the Dashboard and it was all really about the Feed. IT was that disconnect that sort of left me at a loss.
I realize now that I should of thought that the Dashboard was just a visualization of the feed (and yes I know it is more than that and you can indeed use the Dashboard to control things, but in my case it was just a really pretty debug screen so I could see what was going on.) I feel like a door was just opened for me, and that I understand the concepts now and not just the code that if I type this I get that. but at least a little part of the why.

All in all it was a good night. I hope others out there have had similar experiences.

justterry

Re: Had an Epiphany

by jwcooper on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Yup! Depending on what you're doing, the dashboard is definitely a 'debug tool' in many ways. One of the major ideas behind IO was to encourage devices connecting up together easily and communicating with each other. I'm glad it's working out so far for you!

jwcooper

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.