Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Successful Projects ???
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Successful Projects ???

by play2liv on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi All

What kind of projects are you working on? What kind of data are you trying see on IO.adafruit? Did you ever get it to work? If it did work

play2liv

Re: Successful Projects ???

by krambriw on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:03 am

I wrote a plugin to an automation software named EventGhost. I used the adafruit MQTT Python library that I modified slightly
- to support Python 2.6
- to avoid raising exceptions when a disconnection/re-connection happens

The link to my project:
http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8057

I have been able to publish data to feeds from the very first start, no problems at all.

However, I discovered and experienced some stability problems, being kicked out from io.afadfruit.com frequently

After adafruit made a recent configuration change on their side, this is not happen anymore, my log of such disconnects is empty. It feels rock solid right now

Kind regards, Walter

PS at least for me, the instability in keeping connection experienced earlier has anyway helped me to develop a better and more fail-safe solution

krambriw

by pthacker on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:23 pm

I've created two dashboards. The first is a room monitoring system. It publishes temperature, humidity, light and gas. An audible alarm sounds and a beacon flashes.

The second project is a dedicated alarm with flashing red led beacon and a very loud pulsing Piezo speaker. I added a panic button as well.

Both projects use Adafruit.io, MQTT libraries and ESP-1 processors. The monitoring system uses I2C to communicate with the ESP1 and the other project uses an MCP23008 to handle the sensors and alarms.

pthacker

by housedoc424 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:32 am

Closed Crawl.jpg
Closed Crawl.jpg (232.12 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Greetings, Could someone provide input on this project please? Our company provides oversight and verification of a "guaranteed energy" program for NC affiliates of Habitat for Humanity. This simply means, if the home is built to the program standards, the heating and cooling bills are guaranteed not to exceed an estimate, typically $25 to $30 per month.

Most of the homes are built on crawl spaces. But for the last 20 years or so, its become evident that vents in crawl space foundations are not very smart. So these crawl spaces are closed or unvented. The foundation walls are insulated and a heavy ground cover is installed to make the space look like the inside of a swimming pool.

Here's the challenge. If there is a plumbing or foundation leak, there's a good chance vast qualities of "funguys" (AKA fungi, mold & microbes) move in and set up residence. Of course this creates a health risk of the owners. Consequently, monitoring the humidity in these crawl spaces is critical.

Most folks don't relish crawling under their house to check a humidity reading. So I was wondering if someone could come up with a simply way to install a fairly accurate humidity sensor in the crawl space that is wired to a display in the living space. Ideally, the display would show temperature and humidity as well as be capable of some type of alarm should the RH rise to dangerous levels, (indicative that something went wrong)

Anyone have ideas??? Keep in mind Habitat folks may not have internet or certainly dont have $$$$ for research quality instrumentation.

housedoc424

by krambriw on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi, I have more or less the same situation in our house with the crawl space as well as the cold attic. I'm using sensors from Oregon since they are reasonable accurate and not too expensive. They are reporting humidity & temperature readings approx every 45 seconds. Disadvantages they are battery operated but with lithium they last more than two years.

But as you might know, it is not enough to just look at the relative humidity. What is more important is to calculate the difference to the actual dew point. To do that, you need to read both the RH and temperature, then calculate using formulas.

To receive signals you will need a suitable receiver, I recommend a RFXtrx from RFXCOM. As a computer for the calculation you can use raspberry Pi and Node-RED as software. To display, a cheap android tablet with a webpage is what I use.

Just to give you an example of the so called flow in Node-RED that reads, calculates & publishes to MQTT what has just been discussed:

PS: The water pipes shown in your picture: If they are for cold water, the have to be fully insulated I would assume

krambriw

by mack6225 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:04 pm

I would consider XBEE and dev board such as https://www.adafruit.com/products/2000 DHT11 basic temperature-humidity sensor. in the crawl space. For the home XBEE, dev board, and display. Simple, easy straight forward. BOB's your uncle.

mack6225

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.