Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Ras Pi help - please.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ras Pi help - please.

by ElectronicOz on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:54 pm

(Gee I bet I am going to flamed for asking, but here goes)

I know this is ADA fruit, but believe me, I am at wit's end.

I have a PI, and downloaded KALI for it. That in itself was trauma enough.

I copied the image to the SD Card (Sandisc class 10 I am sure) and turned it on.

As it boots, I see the USB keyboard and mouse. Then a couple of RD lines scream past and it loads the log in screen.
Keyboard and mouse are non-functioning.

During the boot, the "Num lock" key works, as does the "Caps lock". But when it gets to the log on screen: NADA!

I know this is NOT the KALI site, but I am begging: Please, someone, help me!
The Kali site sets off "how to install KALI on a Pi" and has a few options from where.
As I have a PC, I chose that. Tried to download the disc imager and the link was broken, though the ACTUAL program was written by some other company and the link was to a third party link. BAD WEB SITE!
Anyway, that was just the start of a trail of problems, so really I don't know/think/believe they will actually know what the problem is.
Some help threads mention a PS keyboard.... Yeah, right.
The keyboard and mouse work - this post is testament to that.
If plugged into another PI, they work.
The PI I am using is BRAND SPANKERS! Taken out of the box today. Others bought in the same batch are working.
This one does work/boot. Just the keyboard/mouse are dead at the log in screen.

P-L-E-A-S-E-! Someone.
I am doing a security course and getting it working will help me so much as it is designed for penetration testing of sites for security risks.

Thanks in advance.

ElectronicOz

Re: Ras Pi help - please.

by marke3 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:28 am

Given the quality and reliability of the Adafruit Learning System, maybe try their approach:

https://learn.adafruit.com/kali-linux-on-the-raspberry-pi-with-the-pitft

marke3

Re: Ras Pi help - please.

by ElectronicOz on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:46 am

Thanks.

Ironically I have just taken the next stop and SSL'd into it.

That works.

So I am "in" but now confused to why I can't use the keyboard/mouse to log in on the pi if I let it run its course.

I shall take a peep at the link and see if there is anything useful there I can find.

Ok, thanks, but the link wasn't really that helpful.

I am still confused why I can SSH into it, and that is fine. But it hangs if I let it "boot" with an HDMI monitor it loads a "log in" screen.

The keyboard can't enter a log in name and password. So I don't know what to do.

I shall not persist asking here as I am aware it is not really ADAFRUIT's problem/responsibility.

I shall now hope that someone at their site can be more forthcoming with a solution.

Again, thanks.

ElectronicOz

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.