Problem communicatiing with 32u4 RFM95 using VB
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problem communicatiing with 32u4 RFM95 using VB

by tadennison on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:51 pm

I have built an remote environmental sensor system using two 32u4 RFM95 feather boards. The remote uses a 32u4 RFM95 with several Adafruit I2C sensors for temperature, IR, UV, Lux, and battery state (remote is solar powered). The base uses a second 32u4 RFM95 which is connected to a PC running a house control system. The environmental data capture by the remote and communication with the base work perfectly.

The problem is getting the base 32u4 RFM95 board to communicate with the PC using its USB serial port into a VB2010 data capture program (uploaded below) for processing by the house control system. While various commercial terminal programs like Tera Term receive data perfectly from the base 32u4 RFM95, the VB2010 data capture program receives nothing. I have tried various terminal programs for which the source code is available with the same result.

Interestingly, an Arduino Uno generating output through its USB serial port will work perfectly with the VB2010 data capture program. The problem seems to be with the 32u4 RFM95 feather board although I can not explain why it works with commercial terminal programs and not the VB2010 data capture program which does work perfectly with the Arduino Uno.

I found there are other posts with similar issues which I have read but they seem to not reach a resolution. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry
Attachments
Terminal Program.txt
(2.89 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

tadennison

Re: Problem communicatiing with 32u4 RFM95 using VB

by boroko on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 am

I feel your pain, essentially the same problem....https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=138127&p=683965#p683965 . Also reaching out for advice on another forum, in case someone over there has figured this out: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/53117-C-HMI-comm-with-micro
Seems like every few years I try and grasp this again, but haven't yet got to the top of that mountain...
bo

boroko

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.