Hallowing, what did I burn
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Hallowing, what did I burn

by mocm on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31 am

Hi,
I got my Adafruit Hallowing today and was playing around with it, when I decided to try the Neopixel JST plug with
a non-Neopixel WS2812B ring that had the same plug, but obviously not the same connections on it (V+ and GND switched).
As soon as I plugged it in the Hallowing began to smoke and I pulled it out quickly. The Hallowing still
works with the pre-installed sketch, so I am not sure what went up in smoke. Now I am wondering what the plug
is connected to and what was burnt.
I would be grateful if you could give me some information.

Another thing, I tried the "All Seeing Skull" sketch with the Hallowing and it did not work correctly. The eye was all skewed
and the screen went black after a few seconds. With the Spooky_Eye_Human.UF2 loaded the eye looks fine and
everything works. Is there a newer version of the sketch, other than the one on https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Le ... Guides.git?
I tried the sketch with a teensy 3.2 and a waveshare 1.5" SSD1351 and it works fine there.

mocm

Re: Hallowing, what did I burn

by mocm on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Regarding the Arduino sketch for the Eye, I found out that the shape is ok after I updated to
the latest ST7735 library. The blanking comes from the PIR activation that is in the All_seeing_eye
sketch. If you want a continuous eye you need to use the uncannyEye sketch.

mocm

by abowman on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Today while I was playing with my Hallowing, I plugged the NeoPixel in but I couldn't get it out. I finally got it out. I was doing the light paintstick tutorial (https://learn.adafruit.com/hallowing-li ... k/overview) after I wired it up and loaded the code, the NeoPixel strip wouldn't light up. I tried another NeoPixel 4x4 that I had. When I was trying that, my Hallowing started smoking. I unplugged it and plugged it back in.. It seems to work and turn on, and run the code for the eye after I reflashed it. I tried the Neopixel on another board and it worked I am not sure where the issue is in this, but I would like to get this resolved.

I tried to run the full test arduino code on the Halloween and got the following error. Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit ItsyBitsy M0"

C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735_and_ST7789_Library\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp: In member function 'virtual void Adafruit_ST7735::setRotation(uint8_t)':

C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735_and_ST7789_Library\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp:248:6: error: '_xstart' was not declared in this scope

_xstart = _colstart;

^

C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735_and_ST7789_Library\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp:249:6: error: '_ystart' was not declared in this scope

_ystart = _rowstart;

^

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit ItsyBitsy M0.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

abowman

by mocm on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:18 am

There is a board definition for the Hallowing specifically. You may have to update the boards on your Arduino IDE.
It is called "Adafruit Hallowing M0". As for the Neopixel, I had a Chinese Pixelring that has a JST connector which
has the V+ and GND pins in the opposite order to the Neopioxel connectors. That caused the smoke. I guess I got
the Voltage connected to the D4 pin connector. I am still wondering if that can be fixed somehow.

mocm

by abowman on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:48 am

Ok. When I downloaded the library, there wasent a Hallowing option. I think the code should have worked in the first place. Does your neopixel work with the Hallowing?

abowman

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:51 pm

a non-Neopixel WS2812B ring that had the same plug, but obviously not the same connections on it (V+ and GND switched).

That could have shorted things one the power rail and damaged various parts of the board.

Now I am wondering what the plug is connected to and what was burnt.

The electrical connections go to numerous places. GND is shared with everything. V+ is tied to VCC.

adafruit_support_carter

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:53 pm

@abowman This doesn't sound good. Can you please start a new thread for your issue.
I tried another NeoPixel 4x4 that I had. When I was trying that, my Hallowing started smoking.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.