using Neopixel ring /strip with feather
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

using Neopixel ring /strip with feather

by Kiera777 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am

I'm wanting to Connect Neopixels to feather boards I have a few different projects in mind but I Can't find any info about what Pins on the feather boards work well for Neopixel Data /Digital pins/Digital with PWM pins /Analog IO pins. I've seen on the learner guide for a few different pins power & I2C Pins but the other pins don't seem to be listed anywhere if there is a page with all the pins labeled and explained please post a link. Thanks

Kiera777

Re: using Neopixel ring /strip with feather

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:17 pm

You didn't specify which Feather processor you are using. But in general, any of the analog or digital GPIO pins can be used as a control pin for Neopixels.

adafruit_support_bill

by staticsan on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Pin 6 is the default pin for the NeoPixel libraries and I can confirm that it works well on a Feather 32u4.

The guide pages for the Feather in question will have diagrams for all the pins and what they can do.

staticsan

by Kiera777 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

adafruit_support_bill wrote:You didn't specify which Feather processor you are using. But in general, any of the analog or digital GPIO pins can be used as a control pin for Neopixels.

the Guides for the Different feathers that I've looked at nrf52840, nrf52832,M0 Express and the M0 BLE all have the power and I2C pins labeled but don't make it clear what any of the other pins are good for I Kinda assumed that the GPIO Analog and Digital pins would be in the same places on all the boards so transfering projects from an older board to a newer board would not require a lot of unnecessary code changes and enables all wings to work with all feather boards if I'm wrong then it is clear that by Assuming I have made an Ass out of U and Me - I should have learnt not to Assume by this time in my life. :'(

Kiera777

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:09 am

The pins labeled with just numbers are configured out-of-the-box as basic GPIO pins and can be used for digital I/O or driving Neopixels.

These more advanced processors make it possible to re-configure some of these pins for other functions. A full understanding of all the capabilities would require some serious study of the data sheets. This guide shows how to configure GPIO pins to serve as SPI, i2c and serial data communication ports on the M0: https://learn.adafruit.com/using-atsamd ... s/overview

adafruit_support_bill

by kcl1s on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:05 pm

the Guides for the Different feathers that I've looked at nrf52840, nrf52832,M0 Express and the M0 BLE

You seem to be quite new to all this. As with anything new there is a learning curve. Of the 4 feathers you listed only the M0 Express is suitable for beginners. You may want BLE or other communication ability in your final project but you will likely get frustrated if you start there. My suggestion as a hobbyist with some time teaching Arduino to teens and adults is to get an M0 Express and a meter of Neopixels and learn the basics. You will have to pick a language to code in. This thread has some info on choosing one https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=152806 You can learn a lot about Neopixels in this guide. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide With a little experience you can move up to BLE if you need to.

Hope this helps
Fellow hobbyist
Keith

kcl1s

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.