Can I use Feather M0 on Windows 10?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can I use Feather M0 on Windows 10?

by BenD123 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:17 am

At a company where I work, we use a Feather M0 to measure distances. We usually just install the Adafruit drivers (2.3.1.0) and then we can use the Feather M0 with our software straight away. On Windows 10 Enterprise x64, I have gotten the Feather M0 to work once, but since then the software just hangs in limbo whenever measuring the distance, no matter which port I use and even after running later drivers (2.3.4.0). Plus, a FEATHERBOOT drive is now appearing when the hardware is plugged into the PC. This only started happening after that first successful test. The drive wasn't there prior to that.

Does Feather M0 actually work with Windows 10? Is there an extra step I need to go through? Please respond as soon as possible. It is urgent that I resolve this issue.

BenD123

Re: Can I use Feather M0 on Windows 10?

by dastels on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:25 am

This would seem to be an easy thing to address, but I have no experience with Windows so I've passed it on to other to have a look at. Expect an answer shortly.

Dave

dastels

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:53 am

What is the software being used that hangs in limbo? Are you using Arduino, CircuitPython, or something else with the Feather M0?

You're seeing the bootloader folder OK, so it sounds like maybe something has just happened with your actual program. But you could also be running into some known issues with anti-virus and OS specific stuff. But will need to known how you are trying to program the board first.

adafruit_support_carter

by BenD123 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:13 am

adafruit_support_carter wrote:What is the software being used that hangs in limbo? Are you using Arduino, CircuitPython, or something else with the Feather M0?

You're seeing the bootloader folder OK, so it sounds like maybe something has just happened with your actual program. But you could also be running into some known issues with anti-virus and OS specific stuff. But will need to known how you are trying to program the board first.

It is our own software that we wrote using C# and WPF. We use it with Feather M0 on Windows 7 with no issues, and the FEATHERBOOT drive doesn't appear on Windows 7. Windows 10 is the first time I've seen it. It worked once, but has now stopped working. The first time it worked, the FEATHERBOOT drive didn't appear (as far as I could tell). What known issues with anti-virus and OS are there?

BenD123

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:52 am

Also - which specific Feather M0 do you have?

What known issues with anti-virus and OS are there?

See here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... leshooting
but since you are not using CircuitPython, only look at the ones that discuss issues with FEATHERBOOT. That relates to the bootloader and is common to any programming used for your actual firmware.

In general, you should always be able to get the board back into bootloader mode. This is typically done by double pressing the reset button (sometimes single press if using MakeCode) and seeing the FEATHERBOOT folder show up. So let's make sure you can at least do that much reliably.

adafruit_support_carter

by BenD123 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:47 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Also - which specific Feather M0 do you have?

What known issues with anti-virus and OS are there?

See here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... leshooting
but since you are not using CircuitPython, only look at the ones that discuss issues with FEATHERBOOT. That relates to the bootloader and is common to any programming used for your actual firmware.

In general, you should always be able to get the board back into bootloader mode. This is typically done by double pressing the reset button (sometimes single press if using MakeCode) and seeing the FEATHERBOOT folder show up. So let's make sure you can at least do that much reliably.

It seems that Adafruit drivers are not required on Windows 10. Is this correct? I installed them as I would with a Windows 7 PC, so this may have caused a problem.

BenD123

by adafruit2 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:26 pm

you do not need them, in fact if you run the installer it will not prompt you to install. you can always uninstall.

adafruit2
Site Admin

by BenD123 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:14 am

adafruit2 wrote:you do not need them, in fact if you run the installer it will not prompt you to install. you can always uninstall.

I've uninstalled them for now, but I'm still having the same issue. The software runs continuously but the distance measurement never completes, which seems to me that the software is not communicating with the Feather M0 at all. The Feather M0 hardware is set up correctly (everything's plugged in as it normally would be, and the same hardware was previously working on a Windows 7 PC).

Are there known differences between Windows 7 and Windows 10 compatibility with Feather M0? Additionally, do I need to perform any steps using FEATHERBOOT (copy any files into it, run any programs, etc.)?

BenD123

by BenD123 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:19 am

I have an update. The Feather board was somehow wiped during my testing. I have now connected a new Feather M0 Express board that has definitely been working on a Windows 7 PC.

I tried using the board with our software, but it got stuck again. The measurement test began but was never completed. I put the Adafruit drivers (2.3.1.0) back on, but no change. I gave the PC a restart to see if this would kickstart something, but access to the board's COM port is now denied. In the Devices & Printers section, the Feather M0 device needs troubleshooting. Apparently there is a driver issue. Any solutions now? Should I put the newer 2.3.4.0 drivers on, or try something different?

BenD123

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.