📣📪 🚚 Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 🗓. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET 🕚 Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 📣📪🚚

Feather DHT22 causing buffer overflow?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather DHT22 causing buffer overflow?

by xraymike on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Folks,
I've been running a Huzzah ESP8266 with a DHT22 following the link here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/dht/using-a-dhtxx-sensor
and everything seems find for about 2 weeks after which the module stops transmitting data. I cycle power and it starts up again. I've replaced the USB power supply with an Adafruit-recommended supply to see if that helped. Doesn't seem to have. I'm using the default 5 second interval between queries. My suspicion is that there is some buffer which is filling up over time. Has anyone else seen this problem?

xraymike

Re: Feather DHT22 causing buffer overflow?

by xraymike on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Replying to myself:
I just noticed that the demo code includes printing the temperature and humidity to the serial port. If there isn't a serial port connected to the feather is it possible it is storing those print statements somewhere? That might be the source of my overflow. I've just commented out the print statements and will see whether the device is stable for longer than before.

xraymike

by totolezero on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Did you get this fixed? And if so, how did you managed it?

totolezero

by xraymike on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks for asking. No, and I don’t think it is a buffer overflow. I’m now suspecting a problem with my flakey ISP. I’ve been able to reproduce the hang by turning off my wifi. It seems that save(temperature) just hangs if the series of tubes goes down. What is interesting/ frustrating is that if I comment out the save() and look at the io.status and/or the io.networkStatus they don’t change when the wifi is turned off. It would be great to have a:
If pingAdafruit()
save(temperature)
else
try again in 10 seconds
But I haven’t tracked down how to do it. My efficiency in searching github libraries is quite low.
If there is a pingAdafruit() routine I would welcome knowing about it.

xraymike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.