Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality.

Feather M0 Wifi basic RESET Question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather M0 Wifi basic RESET Question

by topcorner18 on Fri May 22, 2020 4:18 pm

This is a really simple question that I have been unable to find an answer.

I have loaded a program into the Feather. It runs correctly - connecting to my router, gather some data and MQTTing to nodeRed for display on the dashboard. I have tried the same thing with the suppliedWiFi101 Example "ConnectWithWPA" and get the same result.

If I hit the reset button once, the programs stop but do not restart; at least I do not see any output on the serial monitor. If I pull board power the program obviously stops but does not restart once power is reapplied. If I double press reset the Feather goes into bootloader as the red LED is pulsing. If I compile and upload from the IDE the programs start and run.

Any ideas as to what is going on or what basic step I am missing to have program restart on reset button pressed?

As a side note, I am finding very few examples of people using this Feather in projects. I wanted to use it for the additional analog inputs over the ESP boards in my possession. Just curious as to why this may be. Would greatly appreciate any links to projects folks have done, other than the Adafruit learning guide, using this Feather M0 WiFi

Thanks

topcorner18

Re: Feather M0 Wifi basic RESET Question

by topcorner18 on Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Can anyone help?

topcorner18

by BryonMiller on Wed May 27, 2020 7:31 am

Not sure if I'm understanding your problem but let me try an explanation for what may be happening. If your saying your using the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor with a Feather M0 and your pressing reset and losing Serial communication that is because of what I consider to be a quirk in the IDE's Serial Monitor. For this to work with a M0 device you have to stop the IDE's Serial Monitor and restart it in order to reestablish communication.

I run into this all the time. I started to use a different terminal program and the problem goes away. That is, my separate terminal program can automatically reconnect after a reset. Only trouble is, if you have a different terminal program connected and you want to use the IDE to upload a different program, the IDE will complain that some other program has control over the serial port that the IDE needs to do the upload. To resolve this you will have to disconnect the separate program, reselect the port in the IDE, upload the program, and then reconnect the separate terminal program.

The different terminal program I use is Tera Term.

BryonMiller

by topcorner18 on Wed May 27, 2020 5:39 pm

Thank You Byron. I will give this a try

topcorner18

by topcorner18 on Thu May 28, 2020 7:18 am

Worked Byron. Really appreciate your help. I can now move forward with deployment on my boat.

topcorner18

by BryonMiller on Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad I could help.

Bryon

BryonMiller

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.