Feather m0 Arduino Port missing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather m0 Arduino Port missing

by va_flyer on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:07 pm

Hi, I've looked through several hundred posts on this forum today and this seems to be a common problem, but I've not yet found an answer for my situation.
I have a brand new Adafruit Feather MO with RFM95 LoRa Radio.
I have Arduino IDE 1.8, now loaded with Arduino_SAMD and Adafruit_SAMD. I rebooted the IDE after the installs.
I selected Feather MO under Tools-Boards.
At first, Port was available under Tools as COM4. After I downloaded and loaded the update-bootloader-feather-m0-v2.0.0.-adafruit-7.ino file, I tried to flash it to the Feather. The LED was glowing continuously green.
I did not get a successful flash message, and the Feather did not appear on my list of connected drives. And then I noticed my COM4 had disappeared, and Port was grayed out on the Arduino Tools menu.
I tried five new cords, finally settling on a new out-of-the-box cord from MicroChip for programming LoRas. Sometime in there the green LED stopped.
So I backtracked and tried Blinka, double clicking the reset button on the Feather to get the ports to appear. in error messages I get:
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {} [about 200 times]
Couldn't find a Board on the selected port....
I tried flashing the bootloader while double-clicking reset. No success.
I tried rebooting my laptop. I tried shutting it off to reset the com port. I tried re-loading Windows COM drivers.
I switched to a Linux laptop. Loaded Arduino IDE and SAMD libraries to the linux. Downloaded the update-bootloader-feather-m0-v2.0.0.-adafruit-7.ino file from github, double-clicked to open it in Arduino. Selected the Feather Board in Tools, and then found the Port greyed out on this set up too.
I tried double-clicking the reset button while flashing the file, and no success. The small LED next to reset flashes amber when I press the reset, and it never glows red.

As I write this, I am drawing the conclusion that I am beating a dead Feather, one that has been expired for 3 days now.
Any suggestions for me?
How not to fail next time?

va_flyer

Re: Feather m0 Arduino Port missing

by mikeysklar on Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Do you have some other Arduino or Feather boards that you can confirm work with either your Windows or Linux setup? I say that because the cable and USB ports are most common issue so to have a confirmation that you cable and USB ports work would be a good start.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... logger/faq

My Feather never shows up as a COM or Serial port in the Arduino IDE

A vast number of Itsy/Feather 'failures' are due to charge-only USB cables
We get upwards of 5 complaints a day that turn out to be due to charge-only cables!
Use only a cable that you know is for data syncing
If you have any charge-only cables, cut them in half throw them out. We are serious! They tend to be low quality in general, and will only confuse you and others later, just get a good data+charge USB cable.
A quality USB port is critical. Avoid plugging into USB keyboards and when possible use a USB-2 HUB to avoid USB3 issues.

mikeysklar

by va_flyer on Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:33 pm

Thanks, I did try a couple of cables initially. On your reply, I pulled another new one out, and no dice. I'll go buy a new otg cable and see if that works.

I went ahead and pulled the micro-usb to usb cable off my pi keyboard, which I've been using to program a Raspberry Pi while trouble-shooting the Feather. Port does not appear when I plug it all in. Tried the upload, tried pressing reset during upload. Still getting:
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.

va_flyer

by mikeysklar on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 pm

@va_flyer,

I've verified that my Pi Keyboard is a good USB data cable. Hopefully you are programming through USB2 ports which will rule out one more potential hazard in COMMs detection.

The reset button needs to be pressed twice during code upload. Try following these steps verbatim:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Turn on verbose upload in the Arduino IDE preferences
Plug in Itsy or Feather 32u4/M0, it won't show up as a COM/serial port that's ok
Open up the Blink example (Examples->Basics->Blink)
Select the correct board in the Tools menu, e.g. Feather 32u4, Feather M0, Itsy 32u4 or M0 (physically check your board to make sure you have the right one selected!)
Compile it (make sure that works)
Click Upload to attempt to upload the code
The IDE will print out a bunch of COM Ports as it tries to upload. During this time, double-click the reset button, you'll see the red pulsing LED that tells you its now in bootloading mode
The board will show up as the Bootloader COM/Serial port
The IDE should see the bootloader COM/Serial port and upload properly

mikeysklar

by va_flyer on Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:42 pm

I ordered a new Feather MO from Adafruit and a new OTG cable. Unpacked the OTG, verified it working.
I opened the Arduino IDE with the bootloader file. The proper SAMD libraries are already installed from the last try.
I plugged the new Feather MO into the cable. The red light on the Arduino blinked and went solid.
Arduino recognized the new Feather MO. Under "Tools", I was seeing the Feather MO board AND COM4 on the port.
I clicked upload and successfully uploaded the bootloader. Red light went back to blinking.
The next step is to load Circuit Python. I downloaded 6.1.0. UF2 and went looking for the "Feather Bootloader" drive on my laptop.
I didn't see "Feather Bootloader," so I double-clicked the RESET button on the Feather.
The red light went out and the Port disappeared from the Arduino IDE.
I now appear to have a second bricked Feather.
There seems to be something about clicking the RESET that wipes out the Feather? I would really appreciate any insight about why the Feather boards stop responding. Is there a way to load CircuitPython using the Arduino IDE? The IDE seemed to be working until the RESET was clicked.

va_flyer

by mikeysklar on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:49 pm

I recall on the Feather M0's I've worked with having to install the bootloader from the command line using bossa utility. It is different for the Feather M0 express models.

I suspect both boards will work if you use this process:

https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... stallation

You will be using a bin file and the bossa utility.

https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... stallation

After getting this bootloader in place you should see BOOTPY drive with a double-reset and be able to drop the CircuitPython UF2. You cannot install CircuitPython through the Arduino IDE.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.