Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Feather 32u4 Fona + esp8266 = wifi hotspot?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather 32u4 Fona + esp8266 = wifi hotspot?

by adamish on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:18 pm

I can't seem to find any information on this, and I've been looking for 2 days - but maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

I have a Feather 32u4 Fona, and I want to connect a NodeMCU esp8266 wifi unit as an access point. I imagine this is possible, and possibly even simple, but I can't find any information on achieving this.

Alternatively, is there not a FONA board out there with wifi on it?

adamish

Re: Feather 32u4 Fona + esp8266 = wifi hotspot?

by blnkjns on Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:15 am

There are feather addons:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... eatherwing
But be warned: GPRS and hotspot making is a very limited combination. If you need some IOT devices to send some sensor data it will work, but not much more. Maybe you are better off with the new 5G LE boards. Here in Europe you can get free SIM cards for these IOT cellular network modules with 1MB of data, or for a few euros they come with 100MB for 5 years.

blnkjns

by adamish on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 pm

blnkjns wrote:There are feather addons:
If you need some IOT devices to send some sensor data it will work, but not much more.

That's all I'm doing. There will be a few boards that will randomly connect to the 'hotspot' and send out a tiny burst of data.

I ordered an esp32 to use as the access point, since that seems simpler than figuring out how to connect the esp8266 at this point. I'm fairly new at this and finding my brain has hit a wall with this particular problem.

adamish

by blnkjns on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:34 am

And what about having them all send the data through LORA? Or is that too limited. With LORA you can get straight from the satelite to the web-backend.

blnkjns

by adamish on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 am

It will be a somewhat remote area (but with power and cell service).

I'll be collecting heat data from 10 devices, that will be on battery power. Deep sleep for an hour, pop on, send data, deep sleep again. Likely using 18650 battery for the boards (esp8266).

They'll all connect to the central access point, connected to the FONA unit (on main power obviously), which will send the data to a google sheet.

I'm mostly fighting power consumption, and getting the wifi access point to work with the FONA unit.

adamish

by adamish on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:00 pm

blnkjns wrote:And what about having them all send the data through LORA? Or is that too limited. With LORA you can get straight from the satelite to the web-backend.

I've been trying to find your username online so I can PM you on github or something...you're so well hidden!

adamish

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.