Blue LED on Feather RP2040
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Blue LED on Feather RP2040

by DickBurke2014 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:52 pm

Good evening, I am posting this because I did not get sufficient answer to the previous question. Here is part of my discourse:

by DickBurke2014 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:33 pm

I do have another question regarding the RP 2040. I tried to plug in battery while the unit was running software. The Neo pixel on the 2040 appears to have flash blue about four times. This then seem to repeat again and again. Is that a warning signal from the RP 2040? And if so are there other warning signals that we, as users, don't know about?
Thank you, Dick
PS I was not notified by email when there were replies to this post. The "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox is checked.

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 am
If you're using CircuitPython, that means there's an error in the code.

by DickBurke2014 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:08 am

I don't quite understand your message. The Feather RP 2040 has been running for about three weeks 24 hours a day. There has not been an issue with the code. The issue started when I tried to push a lithium poly battery into the connector of the Feather. That's when I got the Neo pixel flashing blue. Once I removed the battery the unit operated as before with no blue flash.
Now if there is code to be put in when you're using the battery, it would be nice to put that in the documentation for the Feather RP 2040.
As a 74-year-old enthusiast, I'm slowly learning that a lot of people hold important information at ransom as if everyone out there should know it.
Please let me know if you have any other ideas on the blue light.
Thank you for your time and hope you're having a great day.
Dick Burkhartzmeyer

This is basically where the conversation ended. There was no reply regarding any additional software might be needed, or what other reasons there might be the Neo pixel to turn blue.
I just question there being an error in the cold, when it runs fine without the battery plugged in but comes on when the battery is plug.
Thank you for any help in this matter, Dick Burkhartzmeyer

DickBurke2014

Re: Blue LED on Feather RP2040

by mikeysklar on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:49 pm

Dick,

A few questions so I can better assist you.

Have you been running CircuitPython or Arduino on your Feather RP2040?

The LiPoly pack you plugged in was it from Adafruit or a 3rd party? Some third party packs have reversed polarity connectors and could cause an error on insertion.

Is this scenario repeatable? Code runs fine until battery pack is connected?

mikeysklar

by DickBurke2014 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:32 pm

Feath_RP_RTC_SD-Card_QWIIC-py.txt
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Feath_RP_RTC_SD-Card_QWIIC-py.txt
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Mike, thank you for responding. The Feather RP 2040 was purchased along with the battery from Adafruit. I am currently using CircuitPython, and yes it is repeatable, when I tried to plug in the battery I get some activity on the Neo pixel, and then it flashes blue.
I will attach a copy of the script, it's not well written but it does work, it reads values from an APDS9960 breakout sends the results to an SD card.
Again thank you for your help, Dick Burkhartzmeyer

DickBurke2014

by mikeysklar on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:44 pm

@DickBurke2014,

Your code looks reasonable. I doubt there is much there to be concerned about.

If the LiPo is already plugged into the Feather and you press reset is your code able to execute or do you still get the BLUE NeoPixel?

Is there anything available when you connect to the REPL>>> console?

Can you post a photo of how you have wired everything up?

mikeysklar

by DickBurke2014 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:02 pm

IMG_8240-reduced.jpg
My Board
IMG_8240-reduced.jpg (329.72 KiB) Viewed 51 times
Mike, I would like to thank you for taking on my issue. As it turns out the issue may have been caused by me. I think that at if the time I was operating two different devices and when I tried to load one of them with software, I was actually talking to the other. It took me a while to figure this out but I think that was the problem with the blue flashing light.
I do appreciate you for taking the time to look at an issue that ended up being a non-issue. As a 74-year-old who has been involved in computers since the mid-60s, I find it difficult to follow some of the newer devices because of a lack of documentation. Ah the good old days of FORTRAN 4 and using punch cards on an IBM 360. The operating manual was a rack of manuals about six feet long, I don't miss it at all!
Thank you, Dick Burkhartzmeyer

DickBurke2014

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.