Music Maker Feather with non-feather Microcontroller?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rafikii

Music Maker Feather with non-feather Microcontroller?

Post by rafikii »

I have tried to get the Music Maker wing to work with a non-feather microcontroller and am able to read the SD card and seemingly start the VS codec. However audio isn't playing. I am using the tutorial's hardware SPI constructor to set the SPI pins to what this microcontroller uses and obviously what I plugged the CS, DCS, DREQ, cardCS pins to. Is there anything else hardwird into this feather that would prevent it from playing sound?

Adafruit_VS1053_FilePlayer (int8_t rst, int8_t cs, int8_t dcs, int8_t dreq, int8_t cardCS) - Hardware SPI constructor. Uses Hardware SPI and assumes the default SPI pins. This is what you'll likely use if you're using the shield.

dastels

Re: Music Maker Feather with non-feather Microcontroller?

Post by dastels »

The schematic shows att the connections to the feather: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mus ... /downloads. If you have the SD working, then you have SPI working so it should just be a matter of the various control signals.

Dave

rafikii

Post by rafikii »

Is the reset pin required? I see in the examples that it is -1 for not used.

rafikii

Post by rafikii »

Does something special need to be done to set DREQ up as an interrupt?

Seems like this person was having a similar issue:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=147354&p=734094&hi ... er#p734094

rafikii

Post by rafikii »

I get the tone to play, can read the SD card, but it instantly says that the tracks are done playing. I know the path is correct bc I am able to use the same SD card (and same music maker) with the one feather I have.

dastels

Post by dastels »

rfii wrote:Is the reset pin required? I see in the examples that it is -1 for not used.
Usually this means that you've connected the reset pin to the MCU board's reset pin. This done by default on the device music maker wing (see the bottom of https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mus ... ng/pinouts). So connect the wing's reset pin to your controller's.

Dave

rafikii

Post by rafikii »

Do you know what could be causing the music maker to play a sine wave tone but not play a file on the SD card using the feather_player example sketch? The file listing on the SD card can be read and I confirmed the file name is correct because that same file name line works when the music maker is plugged into the feather microcontroller i have (but can't use for this project).

The code is unmodified except using different pins and the software SPI constructor

Code: Select all

Adafruit_VS1053_FilePlayer (int8_t mosi, int8_t miso, int8_t clk, int8_t rst, int8_t cs, int8_t dcs, int8_t dreq, int8_t cardCS) - Software SPI constructor. Uses Software SPI, so you must specify all SPI pins..

dastels

Post by dastels »

What microcontroller board are you using?

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”