Power relay forces Adalogger into bootloader mode

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
treychaffin

Power relay forces Adalogger into bootloader mode

Post by treychaffin »

I am using the Power Relay FeatherWing stacked on top of a Feather M0 Adalogger. I have a 120 VAC, 13 watt incandescent lightbulb connected to the normally side of the relay. I have the relay set up to be triggered with the A1 pin on the Adalogger. I'm using a simple arduino sketch to toggle the relay using Serial.read and keyboard commands. Toggling the relay will randomly (every 2-6 toggles) send the Adalogger into bootloader mode, it doesn't seem to matter whether or not the relay is being toggled on or off. When no load is attached to the relay, the relay functions correctly and doesn't randomly send the Adalogger into bootloader mode.

I've used a variety of lightbulbs, incandescants, CFLs, and LEDs, all of which this problem is repeatable. I've tried using spare relay and Adalogger modules, the problem is still repeatable.

What could be causing the Adalogger to go into bootloader mode, and how can I prevent it from happening?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Power relay forces Adalogger into bootloader mode

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This could be interference caused by the relay coil or load. It could also be due to power supply fluctuations from energizing the coil.

Can you reproduce the problem with no load connected to the output of the relay?

treychaffin

Post by treychaffin »

The issue only happens when a load is connected to the relay.

I've tried using a wall outlet and a AIMS 300 watt pure sine wave inverter as a power supply, both of which cause the issue.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The issue only happens when a load is connected to the relay.
So it is not likely related to any interference due to energizing the coil. The interference is probably coming from the high-voltage side.

A change in current flow will cause a change in the magnetic field surrounding the wires. This can in turn induce a current in any nearby wires or circuit traces. Make sure that the high-voltage wiring is routed away from the Adalogger and related wiring as much as possible.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”