Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

Troubleshooting ESPHole (WIFI on ESP32-S2)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Troubleshooting ESPHole (WIFI on ESP32-S2)

by RufusVS2020 on Sat May 07, 2022 12:12 am

I picked up a couple of the Adafruit ESP32-S2 TFT Feather boards when I saw the ESPHole demo on JP's PPOTW show. I went through the steps of downloading CircuitPython, creating the secrets.json file, then download the ESPHole image. It reboots, then displays on the TFT screen: "ESPHole Conn'ing to XXXX" (XXXX is my router ID), but never makes the connection or times out. Are there other project for the platform, either CP or Arduino, that can do a "Hello World" wifi connection to my router, so I can figure out what the issue is?

(Edit: I found this, which is kinda what I'm lookin for: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-metro-esp32-s2/wifi-test but porting it is no small thing)

(Edit 2: Checking the examples folder in circuit python, and doing a hail mary google of "adafruit_esp32s2tft" didn't turn up anything useful either.)

RufusVS2020

Re: Troubleshooting ESPHole (WIFI on ESP32-S2)

by RufusVS2020 on Sat May 07, 2022 7:35 pm

Upon finding this: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-metro-esp32-s2/circuitpython-internet-test

I loaded it and it could not see my 5G SSIDs, only the 2.4G SSIDs.

(...learning continues...)

(Edit: If I had read more carefully, I'd have seen in the board description where it said:
"The ESP32-S2 is a highly-integrated, low-power, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi System-on-Chip (SoC) solution...")

"Oh! That's very different! .. Never mind."

RufusVS2020

by freddyboomboom on Sun May 08, 2022 2:31 am

They have an Internet Test CircuitPython script in the Learn Guide for the Feather ESP32-S2 with TFT: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-esp32-s2-tft-feather/circuitpython-internet-test

I don't believe any of the current ESP32 series of chips support 5 GHz WiFi.

freddyboomboom

by GuyFandango on Sat May 14, 2022 12:10 am

I am having a similar issue but instead of my network name I get "Conn'ing to MY_SSID..." It appears that it is not recognizing the edits I made to the secrets.json. When I open the file in TextEdit I see my SSID name in the correct place. This is my first project and came here after reading Doctorow's article about the ESPHole, so I have basically no knowledge or skills. Thank you for any help or suggestions for troubleshooting this issue.

GuyFandango

by RufusVS2020 on Sat May 14, 2022 12:35 am

Hi Guy. It does sound like you are not saving your secrets.json file correctly, or perhaps your editor is loading/saving to a local file instead of the drive that gets opened when you plug in your device.

RufusVS2020

by GuyFandango on Sat May 14, 2022 9:33 am

Yup. I checked again this morning and typo in the file name. Working great now. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

GuyFandango

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.