🇺🇸Adafruit will not be shipping orders on Independence Day Monday 7/4/2022. Please allow extra time for your order to ship and plan accordingly.🇺🇸

Feather M0 RFM9x: From box to circuitpython?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather M0 RFM9x: From box to circuitpython?

by swint144 on Sat May 21, 2022 4:50 pm

I'm completely stumped on how, exactly, to go from box-to-download-a-Python-script for a Feather M0 RFM9x LoRa device on a Windows 10 PC. I purchased the board in the last couple of weeks, so the as-shipped firmware is very likely to be pretty new.

I _see_ the instructions on the product page, but I'm having a hard time following the different jumps to get to my goal! This post is part plea for help, part log of the steps I've taken, so I will edit this top post as I work through the issue and incorporate any feedback along the way.

What, precisely, are the steps that I should follow to get to the point of being able to run CircuitPython scripts?

Where I'm at:
Downloaded/installed:
Last edited by swint144 on Sat May 21, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swint144

Re: Feather M0 RFM9x: From box to circuitpython?

by swint144 on Sat May 21, 2022 5:21 pm

OK - seems that path following the Arduino bootloader has worked, I can now see the Feather M0 RFM9x LoRa board as a mass storage device!

The section "Upload UF2 with Arduino" from https://learn.adafruit.com/installing-circuitpython-on-samd21-boards/installing-the-uf2-bootloader

Downloaded Arduino
    Added Adafruit SAMD board definitions
    Downloaded ino
    Arduino compile & upload ino file
    Board rebooted and appeared as a mass storage device (new drive letter under "My PC")
    Copied "adafruit-circuitpython-feather_m0_rfm9x-en_US-7.2.5.uf2" to the storage location.
    Board rebooted and appeared as a drive called "CIRCUITPY"
    Instead of pip3 on a Linux, I ran the follwing from Anaconda Powershell Prompt:
      pip install adafruit-circuitpython-rfm9x
      pip install adafruit-circuitpython-lis3dh
      pip install adafruit-circuitpython-rfm9x

At this point, it's not clear to me if I need to install these dependencies on my PC, or to have certain files available on the Feather M0 RFM9x itself

swint144

by TI545 on Sat May 21, 2022 8:30 pm

Good progress on getting circuitpython on the Feather RFM9x.

I assume you want to run the LoRa radio on your Feather M0 RFM9x. If so, you “only” need to load the LoRa libraries on the Feather. You can load the LoRa libraries on your Linux computer but you’d need a whole radio setup on your Linux computer to use it.

To use the Feather LoRa, use the tutorial at adafruit.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... dio-module

You can use LoRa on (say) a Raspberry Pi with a LoRa hat, it works well:
https://learn.adafruit.com/multi-device ... re-network

TI545

by swint144 on Sat May 21, 2022 9:15 pm

Thanks, @TI545. I've gotten python up and running on the LoRa Feather! I'm going to have to remember what the last couple of key steps were. Once I got it working, I just kept plinking away and forgot to post back here with the update. :}

swint144

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.