Programming the Feather M0

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RMChadwell

Programming the Feather M0

Post by RMChadwell »

I followed the instructions in the article "Adafruit I2S MEMS Microphone Breakout" but after assembling the Feather M0/MEMS mic breakout circuit, I am now stuck at the I2S Library (page 9). Also note that when I plug the circuit into the USB port of my Windows 10 PC, I see the red and yellow LEDs on the Feather M0 flash, then the green LED flashes, over and over...also this new "device" doesn't appear in the Windows Device Manager---does that indicate a problem? Next, how do I download the I2S Library to my Windows PC, so that I can use the plotter software depicted on page 9? Do I need a JAVA compiler to use this code? AND, once I get the code compiled, how do I upload it to the Feather M0...I assume that is done thru the USB port connection. I do have programming experience, but not with JAVA or PYTHON, which is what I am guessing the source code shown on pages 9 thru 14 actually is...correct? Please advise.

mikeysklar

Re: Programming the Feather M0

Post by mikeysklar »

Let's start with the device (Feather M0) being detected by Windows.

Does a drive appear? How about when you double-tap the reset key? Is any device detected or drive appear?

If you are not seeing any USB device in the device manager or mounted then it is likely that you are using a USB charge cable, but you need a USB data cable.

RMChadwell

Post by RMChadwell »

What I see when it is plugged in under "Devices and Printers" is the Feather M0...so my mistake, it IS recognized...I just didn't know where to look! Do you know what it means when after it is plugged in, the red and yellow LEDs on the Feather M0 flash together, followed by the green LED flashing alone...which just repeats over and over?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

If your Feather M0 came with CircuitPython installed it can mean a software error occurred and the device is in safe mode.

Code: Select all

2 RED blinks: Code ended due to an exception. Check the serial console for details.
3 YELLOW blinks: CircuitPython is in safe mode. No user code was run. Check the serial console for safe mode reason.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... 2978455-21

Were you able to setup the Arduino IDE so that you can upload your code to the Feather M0?

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... -ide-setup

RMChadwell

Post by RMChadwell »

OK, the Red/Yellow LEDs blink once then goes off, followed by a green LED blink...repeats for eternity. So I don't see how it can be a software exception...you tell me? Also, the Feather M0 was sold as: "Adafruit (PID 3010 Feather M0 WiFi - ATSAMD21 + ATWINC1500)," so I don't know what software was included beyond the add saying it uses an Arduino OS---Details:

* A highly-capable Cortex M0+ processor with ton more I/O pins, lots of 12-bit ADCs, a 10-bit DAC, 6 total SERCOMs that can each do SPI, I2C or UART (3 are used by the existing interfaces, leaving you 3), plenty of timers, PWMs, DMA, native USB, and more.
* The ATWINC has much lower power usage, about 12mA for the WINC & 10mA for the ATSAMD21 with auto-power management on for the WiFi and no power management for the ARM.
* Stream more reliably (less 'bursty') with the ATWINC.

I am trying to use the Feather M0 with a MEMS mic, if that helps.

RMChadwell

Post by RMChadwell »

My other issue is how to set up the Arduino IDE. I need to know is that done so that I can upload code to the Feather M0, which I now think may be functioning properly.

RMChadwell

Post by RMChadwell »

I'm also guessing that I need to get a "CircuitPython" compiler...correct?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

You have a choice if you wish to run CircuitPython or the Arduino IDE. This is well documented on the Feather M0 learning guide.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... asic-proto

jwinslade

Post by jwinslade »

mikeysklar wrote:You have a choice if you wish to run CircuitPython or the Arduino IDE. This is well documented on the Feather M0 learning guide.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... asic-proto
I've found that loading CircuitPython on the M0 leaves you almost no space left for applications.

RMChadwell

Post by RMChadwell »

Thanks to mikeysklar and jwinslade, I think I have enough info to accomplish my Feather M0 project! Much appreciated!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”