Which arduino board menu selection for ESP32-S3 Feather with

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jmpattillo

Which arduino board menu selection for ESP32-S3 Feather with

Post by jmpattillo »

Hello,

I am trying to use the arduino IDE with a ESP32-S3 feather with 4MB Flash 2MB PSRAM. I followed the instructions on the Adafruit learn page for this board, but I am having a problem uploading even simple sketches. After uploading is complete and I press the reset button, my feather board goes into a loop while booting. I was able to see its output on the arduino IDE serial monitor. There is a lot of information about the boot process, but the last line is:

"[0;31mE (282) spi_flash: Detected size(4096k) smaller than the size in the binary image header(8192k). Probe failed.[0m
ESP-ROM:esp32s3-20210327"

I remembered that I had chosen "Adafruit Feather ESP32-S3 No PSRAM" from the Arduino IDE board menu since that was the closest description to my board, and I didn't see a menu choice for the 4mb version. Since your version of this board with no psram has 8MB of Flash, the boot process is apparently failing because 8mb of flash is expected. Is there another board menu choice that will work besides the ESP32-S3 no psram? Thank you in advance.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Which arduino board menu selection for ESP32-S3 Feather

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Sounds like you have one of these Feathers?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/5477

If so, support for that Feather is currently not in the ESP32 Arduino BSP. But there is an open pull request to have it added here:
https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/pull/6881

jmpattillo

Re: Which arduino board menu selection for ESP32-S3 Feather

Post by jmpattillo »

Ok, Thank you. The board was stuck in a boot loop, so I reloaded the UF2 boot loader and went back to trying CircuitPython.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”