Feather RP2040 will not work as Picoprobe

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jackw01

Feather RP2040 will not work as Picoprobe

Post by jackw01 »

I needed a second RP2040 board to use as a Picoprobe for SWD debugging another Raspberry Pi Pico so I went to Micro Center and purchased an Adafruit Feather RP2040 because they were out of Pi Picos. The board I got appears to be otherwise functional but will not connect to any computer over USB (tested on one Raspberry Pi 4 and two Windows PCs) when running the Picoprobe firmware. Nothing is displayed in lsusb on Linux or device manager on Windows when it is connected. I don't believe there is an issue with my build/install process because I can flash Picoprobe on my other Pi Pico and use it to debug code running on the Feather. My Pi Pico shows up correctly in lsusb and device manager on all of my computers when running Picoprobe.

freddyboomboom

Re: Feather RP2040 will not work as Picoprobe

Post by freddyboomboom »

If your Picoprobe firmware is compiled for the Raspberry Pi Pico, it probably won't work on the Feather RP2040 as they are very different boards.

Make sure you are compiling the Picoprobe firmware for the Adafruit Feather RP2040.

jackw01

Post by jackw01 »

Mind explaining how the Raspberry Pi Pico and Feather RP2040 are "very different boards" in a way that would prevent the same compiled code from running on both? Both use the RP2040 microcontroller and there is no way to "compile for" the Feather RP2040 instead of the Pi Pico. The RP2040 ARM GNU toolchain produces binaries that will run on all RP2040 microprocessors; there is no way to compile for a specific board. I reviewed the schematics for both boards and there is nothing that should interfere with using the same Picoprobe binary on both (all it needs is the USB port and GPIO pins 2-5).

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

One has a Neopixel, the other one doesn't.

One has a battery charging circuit and battery connector, the other one doesn't.

One has an i2c bus connector onboard with GPIO pins dedicated to it, the other one doesn't.

One exposes a different set of GPIO pins to externally accessible pins than the other one does.

One has onboard flash memory, the other one does.

The major things for your application are the dedicated pins for the i2c bus and for the Neopixel aren't available on the Feather RP2040. So if one or more of those pins are set as being used by the Picoprobe firmware code, then it won't work like you expect on the Feather RP2040.

GPOI2 & GPIO3, for example, are used for the onboard i2c connector on the Feather RP2040.

GPIO4 & GPIO5 aren't tied to any externally available pin on the Feather RP2040.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”