Feathering LoRa and micro:bit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GianLupo

Feathering LoRa and micro:bit

Post by GianLupo »

I would like to start a new little project where I attach a radio FeatherWing (RFM69HCW 900MHZ if it matters) to a PyGamer to communicate with a BBC micro:bit (v2). I have been able to run the basic examples of the RadioHead library using the Arduino IDE to make two FeatherWings talk to each other (one on the PyGamer, the other on a Huzzah), but I don't really understand much of what's going on.

Is something like this doable for someone with little experience? Could anyone recommend a good tutorial to understand the basics of radio communication and how to set up two different microcontrollers so they can talk to each other?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Feathering LoRa and micro:bit

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can use Arduino libraries with the micro::bit. This tutorial shows how to set things up:

https://learn.adafruit.com/use-micro-bit-with-arduino

We also have a CircuitPython library:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... thon_RFM9x

Rewriting the RadioHead library in Javascript would be an advanced project. It's certainly possible, but a programmer would need to be very comfortable with both C++ and Javascript to do it.

GianLupo

Post by GianLupo »

Thank you for your reply Mike!

I was aware of the tutorial, but it seems to only cover bluetooth communication, and I'm not sure if that's the same thing I have in mind.

I guess my main question really is: can a micro:bit (v2) radio-communicate with an RFM69 (using its own built-in radio module, and not, say, another RFM69)?

TI545

Post by TI545 »

That use of the radio seems unlikely. As you said the RFM69 operates at the 900 MHz frequency. The microBit v2 processor (NRFxxxx) only has a 2.4 GHz frequency for its radio module.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

GianLupo wrote:I guess my main question really is: can a micro:bit (v2) radio-communicate with an RFM69 (using its own built-in radio module, and not, say, another RFM69)?
Almost certainly not with the default settings for either radio, and to the extent that it's possible at all, you'd have to dive deep into the code that configures the radio settings.

Frequency is only one parameter radios use. Of at least equal importance is the kind of signal modulation the radios use.. On-Off Keying (OOK), Frequency-Shift Keying (FSK), Quadrature-Amplitude Modulation (QAM), etc. Each is basically invisible to a radio using a different modulation scheme.

GianLupo

Post by GianLupo »

Makes sense. I will try hooking up the micro:bit with another RFM69 and use its radio module instead of the built-in one. Not the most practical solution I'm sure, but it'll do for now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”