FEATHER 32u4 w RFM69HCW -difficulty w/ serial connection
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FEATHER 32u4 w RFM69HCW -difficulty w/ serial connection

by sketchy on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:12 pm

My challenge is the serial port the Feather is connected via USB shows up sporadically (mostly it doesn't but every once in awhile it does). Under Tools/Port. When it doesn't, I do what it says to do within the manual bootloading section of the docs: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... ootloading

OK...manually bootloading does upload the code. BUT now the serial monitor can't be opened. When trying to, I am told the port can't be found.

When the serial port does show, the upload works, and I can open the serial monitor, I cannot get anything to print within setup(). On some sketches, printing within the loop() works. Sometimes not.

My OSX = 10.10.5

Is there a known challenge (besides the strong likelihood I am not bumbling around correctly?)?
Thank you.

sketchy

Re: FEATHER 32u4 w RFM69HCW -difficulty w/ serial connection

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:40 pm

Give it a few seconds between uploading new firmware and trying to open the Serial Monitor. The ATmega32u4 has to shut down the bootloader's USB connection and register a new one, and that takes a while.

adafruit_support_mike

by sketchy on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:31 am

THanks. That certainly made connecting to the serial monitor more repeatable. The challenge continues to be the serial monitor does not handle prints within setup...that is more an inconvenience than a show stopper.

Again, thank you for your reply.

sketchy

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Are you using:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
while ( ! Serial ) { delay( 10 ); }
before you call Serial.begin()?

That will make the code wait until the USB registration has finished before trying to print anything.

adafruit_support_mike

by sketchy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:32 am

YIPPEE!!! I had not had this line in my code. I TRULY appreciate the explanation and not just the fix. It makes sense to me what is going on. Having a grasp of the difference with the ATmega32m4's boot behavior versus chip in Arduino soothes my mind. I wonder if the Blink example is the best one to highlight when discussing using the Arduino IDE in the docs... Rather, perhaps a template..

anywho, Thank you very much. Please find many things to smile about.

sketchy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.