Feather version of the PiSupply PaPiRus display
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather version of the PiSupply PaPiRus display

by michaelmeissner on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:46 pm

I realize that you didn't design the PaPiRus display, but it might be useful to have a similar display in a feather format like the 128x32 OLED display and the recently announced 320x240 TFT display.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3335

michaelmeissner

Re: Feather version of the PiSupply PaPiRus display

by PiSupply on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:53 pm

This sounds like a great idea. We could knock one up pretty quickly really.

Is there a PCB template / size of the feather?

PiSupply

by michaelmeissner on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm obviously not Adafruit, so if you want the offical specs, etc. hopefully they will chime in :-)

Here is the fabrication for the Feather 32u4 Basic Proto: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-feather-32u4-basic-proto/downloads

And for the Feature M0 Basic Proto: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-feather-m0-basic-proto/downloads

Everything else uses the same pinouts, though not everything supports all features.

michaelmeissner

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:13 pm

The Eagle CAD files are all up on Github. The Feather Proto-Wing is probably a good one to start with:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Fe ... nd-Doubler

adafruit_support_bill

by PiSupply on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Ok great - we will order some Feathers to play with in our next Adafruit restock, and see how quickly we can get something knocked up. (EDIT: and just as an FYI, we have to finish a bunch of big projects before we can spend any appreciable amount of time on this - so no idea if/when we can get to it - but it is a cool idea so its on the list!)

There is a 32u4 and M0 feather - are they both the same pinout? And they can share code between them?

PiSupply

by michaelmeissner on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:37 am

In addition to a 32u4 and M0 feather, there are ESP8266, Wiced, and a Teensy adapter that plug into the feather setup. Each of the processors have different pinouts, but the feather pins are are lined up by function (i.e. on the left side is a digital/analog converter, normal analog pins, SPI pins, and serial UART RX/TX, while on the right side are digital pins and i2c pins). All feathers run at 3.3v. I put together a spreadsheet of the different feather processor pinouts, and various feather wings:

Note, I posted an earlier link that was the same spreadsheet, but opened to a different tab than the feature tab.

michaelmeissner

by PiSupply on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Awesome - that is going to be really useful!

The PaPiRus HAT already works with both 5V0 and 3V3 logic, and the PaPiRus Zero with 3V3 logic only so both will work with the feather by the sounds of it...so looks like we need to get hold of some and start prototyping with those.

Spinning the hardware won't take us long but would want to get the software in order before doing so...at that point we could always get a guide up about using the existing boards with the Feather and then move on to a standalone product.

What do you think?

PiSupply

by michaelmeissner on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:47 am

That sounds workable to me, but then I've been a professional programmer for 37 years, so modifying sketches doesn't phase me. :-) Not everybody is that comfortable modifying stuff to get it to work.

The strength of the feather system is support for multiple different processors under the hood. At the same time, the weakness of the feather system is support for multiple different processors under the hood. By that I mean, eventually customers will want it to work out of the box on each of the platforms.

You probably want to start with one of the base platforms (either the AVR 32u4 or the ARM M0) and develop the instructions for that. Then do the other one. Once you've done that, you would go on to the secondary platforms (ESP8266 and/or Teensy). The Teensy will probably be close to to M0, but the pin numbers might be different. I've not used the ESP8266 or Wiced, so I can't say how close to a standard Arduino they are.

One thing it appears that is useful in designing feather wings is to have jumpers (solder or otherwise) to allow people to customize what CS/DC/Reset pins are used (in the case of SPI devices), what i2c addresses to use, etc.

michaelmeissner

by PiSupply on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up - we will buy a selection and start playing with them.

Can't promise a timeline as we are super busy at the moment but it seems like a very interesting proposition!

PiSupply

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.